20 • I Can't Win This

Fred and FP were helping Alice organizing the Wyrm again after the disastrous fire, which seemed to be a bigger task than they'd ever realize. Fortunately, FP didn't hesitate to cover all the costs.

Usually, Alice wouldn't accept any kind of financial help, but this time she had played all her cards. It was either accepting all FP wanted to do for her and the Serpents, or giving up on her life work. She knew that what FP did came from a good place, and she'd be crazy to let her pride get in the way.

It was a peaceful afternoon, with all three of them working hard to get everything back to the way things used to be. However, whenever there was a single moment of peace it seemed that they had overseen a dark cloud coming their way. A familiar face walked into the bar, already having a smug smile plastered over his face, as if he enjoyed the destruction of the Wyrm.

"Hmm, I see you're playing happy little family?" Hal said, as he looked at Alice, Fred and FP working together as if nothing had happened.

He remembered the last night he had been there all too well. FP had no idea Charles was his and he had successfully broken something for good between the three. Or so, he thought.

"Get the fuck out of here, Hal. Or I'll throw you out." FP hissed, his anger already boiling.

"Tame your pitbull, Alice. Too weak to fight your own battles?" Hal said annoyed, looking at her.

"It's payday." He stated, when Alice didn't comment. She knew the drill by now.

Alice walked behind the counter and took the envelop of money, which she handed over full of shame. She hated that FP and Fred were there to see it.

"Thank a lot, sweetheart. See you next month." He swiftly stroke her cheek and grinned at her, enjoying the power he had. When he left, Fred turned to Alice with a confused look on his face.

"Next month? I thought it was about a car scratch? Isn't that fixed by now?" He wondered, feeling that something was off about all of this. Because of all that happened, they had forgotten about Hal.

"Al, if you need money I am more than willing to pay. No strings attached." FP said softly.

"I fixed it myself." Alice said, avoiding to look at them. But she didn't have to look at them for Fred to see that she wasn't telling the truth.

"You're lying." Fred said instantly.

"What?" Alice raised her eyebrow.

"I know you, Alice. You're lying. Tell me what has been going on." Fred said, a little softer this time.

"The real story. Not some car bullshit." He looked right at her, to tell her with one look that the lying had to stop. He was her best friend, and he was going to help her no matter how hard things were to fix.

"What does he have on you?" FP asked, growing curious now too.

He remembered talking with Fred about this, but then after all the crazy stuff that happened they both just seemed to forget for a little while.

Alice couldn't hold back her tears anymore and sniffed soundly. Fred and FP shared a look. Alice didn't cry that often, so this meant something was seriously wrong. She sat down in one of the booths, followed by Fred and FP who sat across of her.

"Hey, what is it?" Fred said softly, when he noticed that she wiped away her tears.

Alice took a breath. It was time.

"Do you remember last year when I briefly dated him?" She asked Fred.

"You dated Hal Cooper?" FP asked confused, almost a little judgemental because he couldn't imagine anyone wanting to date Hal.