Chapter 35

It turned out that Mikey's house was not a house at all but a cave with a few sleeping bags and cans of food in it. Candles were randomly dotted around and one of them was lit, which meant someone had been in the dank cave recently. James couldn't imagine someone wanting to steal the hovel while its originally residents were away. Surely there were better places to live than a cave where there was certainly water getting in as James could hear it dripping somewhere in the darkness.

Mikey gestured around the cave. "Welcome to our humble abode."

James tried not to screw up his face and did his best to smile. Skylar smirked at him and looked like she was holding back laughter. Seemed he didn't hide his horror like he thought he had. Still, making her laugh was worth Robert scolding him for being rude. Her eyes lit up when she smiled.

"So," Eddie drew out the word while studying the cave, taking slow strides about the place, "This is what passes for a home now?"

"If you don't like it you can sleep outside." Nina smiled sweetly and went to help Robert who was settling Mrs Greene against a wall and promising her blood soon.

"No, no. Of all the many places I have homes this isn't one of them. It's a nice chance to scope out the area." Eddie tapped on the cave wall with his knuckle. "Nice solid foundations anyway."

It bemused James that Eddie thought he was funny in any way other than funny looking. Although he had to be grateful that Eddie didn't have access to a mirror. His ridiculous shirt was so filthy that it was impossible to tell its original colour and James could only guess how much Eddie had spent on it. It was tempting to say something about it to see his despair but then they would all have to listen to him complain. This wasn't a large enough cave to escape him.

Mikey sniffed the air. "I think I know who has been living here."

The words were no sooner out of his mouth than footsteps sounded near the cave entrance and Skylar drew her weapons and faced them.

Emmet was standing there, staring blankly at them. Although James didn't think he could have any other look on his face considering how empty his brain was. Evan was next to him, eyes wide and hands raised in surrender.

Skylar lowered her daggers and threw a look back at Mikey. These two wolves had abandoned their pack and James too was curious to see how their leader would react. He knew his father had always made someone work to join his ranks again. It was a privilege to fight with your kind and anyone who forgot that had to earn that privilege again.

To James's surprise a wide smile broke out across Mikey's face, and he jogged over to embrace the men in turn. No punishment? No proving you were with us again? Just a hug and everything was fine? James glanced at Nina to get her feelings on the situation. While a small smile was on her lips she didn't rise to greet them and didn't meet their eyes. Good, at least someone shared James's view that abandoning your friends was not okay. Not that James was friends with any of them, but Mikey was.

Mikey patted Evan on the shoulder. "I'm glad that the two of you are okay."

Emmet looked at his feet and scratched the back of his neck. "What are you guys doing here?"

"We aren't hiding." James folded his arms and gave Emmet a wry grin. Unlike Mikey he wasn't the type to forgive and forget. These two were cowards and that couldn't go unpunished.

Nina sighed and stood, jutting one hip out and putting her hands on her waist. "This is our cave as well. In fact, I think it was my parents that set this up as a safe house. We have every right to be here."

"Of course, you do," Evan said.

Emmet shook his head and approached the group. Bold move coming that close to James when he was in foul humour.