Chapter 23: Contract Violation

Mina

"Miss, I'm sorry but we are closing in a few minutes"

I looked up to the waitress, she smiled apologetically and walked away. I glanced throughout the restaurant, I was the only customer left. I looked at my watch. It was past midnight. The time had just flown by. All I ever did was watching every customer entering and leaving the place while occasionally looked at the entrance for Chaeyoung.

I sipped the dregs of the restaurant's last coffee pot of the day and stood up. I remembered the young waitress's generous services. To honor her, I left an uncommonly large tip. She went home late from work because of one stubborn customer, I held her. I'd go through that. She noticed me and bowed, I reciprocated the gesture. My stomach churned. I hadn't had dinner since I was waiting for Chaeyoung but that woman didn't even show up. What a jerk.

The wind was picking up fast. I quickly pulled up the hood of my red wool coat. I stepped onto the street, slipping and sliding in the stilettos boots. I tried to flag down a taxi but every cab had passengers in the back or its yellow roof light switched off. I waited and tried again but all cab raced by me. The cold began to seep into my limbs. I shuddered from it and pulled my coat more tightly around me. I sighed and walked aimlessly along the sidewalk. I called her again, but it couldn't reach her.

All of a sudden, I heard soft orchestral music. I whirled around to see a cab had pulled up, the sounds came from the radio, "Need a ride?" The driver asked as he cast a concerned glance out the window at the weather and asked where I was going. I gave him the address and thankfully he was willing to take me home. He went out and opened the door for me. I bowed and got into the back seat. After he climbed back into the driver's seat, he closed the door with a little less force and glanced at me through the rearview mirror. He seemed to recognize me. I saw his soft smile.

"Coming home from a date?" He asked with a hint of tease. I chuckled and hesitantly nodded. A date with myself I guess. I slumped on the back seat, my head twisted to look out of the small window. A light rain was falling as we traveled north on the highway. The windows fogged up and I rubbed a porthole through the condensation and drew a smiley sun. 

I smiled, it somehow reminded me of that microscopic woman. I watched
the droplet of water ran over the glass. Thank God, I didn't catch up in the rain. Listening to the familiar orchestra music, I peered at the radio on the front seat and read the title; Schindler's List. Finally, the taxi stopped in front of the gate. The driver grinned when he looked out at the house as if he was expecting it. He turned to me, "It was nice to meet you, Miss Myoui" He said and stretched out his arm for a handshake.

I was baffled for a moment. How did he know? I took his hand, smiled and wanted to pay him but he refused saying it was his treat. I felt bad since earlier he was telling me how he drove twenty - two hours a day so that he could support his deaf daughter at music school. He was so persistent even when I insist. I bowed as a token of gratitude and hoped I could meet him again to pay back his kindness.