Chapter 38: Depth of Winter Part 3

Jeongyeon

I looked over to her, sitting on the passenger seat, she had her eyes closed and her mouth was settled into an exhausted line. She was submitted to the local hospital and stubbornly demanded to get discharge and leave the next day. We were on our way back, some of the staff stayed to wrap things up. When I insisted that she should stay a bit longer at the hospital, she kept rebelling and glaring at me. She was behaving like a grumpy grandma. No more the woman that laughed at my joke, she was back to the aggressive, mean, woman.

Or so I thought,

I stared at the black-purple stripe cashmere wool cape that wrapped around her body. It was the same cape that someone had drop from the window during my punishment; when I had lost in a game and forced to stand outside in the cold. I averted my eyes back to the road infront.

Since then a few days had passed, I hadn't seen her for almost a week. We had no interaction as well. I was busy preparing and planning for the Mini Project and she was, I assumed as busy perhaps busier than I am. I heard she was opening a new branch building

The meeting with the Immortal Korea's director for the Mini Project had been scheduled at one of the prestigious Hirai Hotels. As I exited the building, I stood by the curb and waited for my car. However, my attention was soon drawn to a commotion of people gathered across the street.

Curiosity piqued, I turned to my secretary and asked, "What's happening over there?"

My secretary, ever diligent, replied, "It appears to be a street vendor, ma'am."

Concerned about the situation, I swiftly made a decision. "Handle it discreetly, please, before the chairman becomes aware. Notify City Hall to ensure no confiscation or fines. Send a lawyer to assist with any necessary legal procedures."

My secretary confirmed, "We've received a direct order. The Chairman has allowed this,"

Surprised by this revelation, I turned to my secretary, seeking confirmation. "He's allowed it?"

She nodded in affirmation. "Yes."

My gaze then shifted to the street vendor, who was just a few meters away. I considered our schedule and inquired, "Do we have enough time for this?"

With reassurance, my secretary replied, "Certainly. We have ample time before the meeting with the Cruise Directors."

A smile spread across my face as I decided, "Well, why not? Let's go grab a bite." I began strolling toward the street vendor, my curiosity piqued and my appetite eager for an unplanned meal.
As I approached the street vendor, the employees who had been creating a commotion noticed my presence and hastily dispersed. I shook my head, signaling that I intended to wait in line like everyone else, and they need not clear a path for me.

When it was finally my turn to order, I perused the diverse menu, my eyes lingering on a particular item that tugged at my nostalgia – fish cakes and tteokbokki. It had been quite some time since I'd enjoyed such a meal. The vendor, upon seeing me, gasped in recognition. "Oh, it's you! Everything here is on the house. What would you like?"

"Free?" I uttered in surprise.

"Yes, just for you," the vendor confirmed with a warm smile.

Curiosity and gratitude mingled in my thoughts. I couldn't help but wonder if someone had orchestrated this unexpected treat, and one person immediately came to mind. How had she managed to persuade the Chairman to do this? Instead of a simple 'thank you,' she went to such lengths. I shook my head in mild disbelief before turning to the street vendor. With a grateful smile, I replied, "Tteokbokki and fish cakes, please. Two servings."