Chapter 42: Whispers of Love and Loss

Tzuyu

In the midst of the birthday celebration, I slipped away from the venue for a quick cigarette break. I found a nearby tree, retrieved my pack of cigarettes and lighter, and began to smoke, lost in my thoughts. Chaeyoung seemed happy. Though she probably didn't know that. So was Dahyun. I wondered, how falling in love felt like.

Love, they say, floods your body with norepinephrine and adrenaline, the same hormones triggered in moments of danger or crisis. These hormones could induce a range of physical symptoms, including that infamous fluttering sensation in your stomach. Butterflies might sound nice, sure—— until they make you feel like you need to throw up.

When you see or even just think of the person you love, you feel tense and nervous. Your heart begins to race, your palms sweat, and your face flushes. You might feel a little shaky. Your words might tumble out of nowhere.

Or so what I was told.

But all of this was merely theoretical for me. I had dated several people, but nothing had ever lasted beyond a few months. None of them had left a lasting impression, none had sparked that intense, all-consuming feeling they described as love. I treated them well, as a partner should, but I knew we were both just passing through each other's lives.

I didn't feel sad or hurt when they eventually moved on to meet the right person, get engaged, and start families. I was genuinely happy for them. After all, I was content with the way things were, or so I thought.

Until I met her.

"Smoking is bad for your health," a voice chimed in from behind me. My moment of solitude was abruptly disrupted by an unexpected visitor, someone who, at that time, I had never imagined would hold such a significant place in my life.

 My moment of solitude was abruptly disrupted by an unexpected visitor, someone who, at that time, I had never imagined would hold such a significant place in my life

I turned to see a woman in a wheelchair, and recognition dawned. It was Mina's sister, though I hadn't managed to catch her name earlier. I had forgotten her name as well, not that it was worth to be remembered. I tilted my head and began to introduce myself, but before I could, she interjected with the same warning about smoking.

"Smoking is bad for your health," She repeated.

With a wry smile, I glanced at the cigarette in my hand and replied, "Do you smoke, Ms?"

"No," she answered.

"Have you ever smoked before?"

"No."

"Well," I began, sarcasm lacing my words, "you've managed to avoid smoking, yet you ended up in that wheelchair."

She couldn't help but smile at my retort. "You're right," she admitted, "I'm in no position to give advice. Although I must say, you are quite the jerk."