Chapter 4

"Shhhh, everything will be okay," he whispered with his lips pressed against her hair as he backed into his house, still holding Jennifer tightly secured in his arms. He closed the door behind them, shutting out the rest of the world.

Everything would be okay.....

But will it though?

David wasn't so sure himself......

.....

"Jennifer, please. You have to stop crying." David's voice was trembling, his heart was breaking at the sight of her. Jennifer was shaking in his arms.
She held her arms tightly around David's neck as she buried her face into his chest, never wanting to let go.

"Sweetie, please stop."

Hearing David's pleading made Jennifer cry even harder. She couldn't accept the fact that he was moving away.

David tried to let go of her. He wanted to see her face and look into her eyes, but Jennifer refused. She held on to him even tighter, making it impossible for David to do so.

She jumped up and wrapped her legs around David's waist. There was nothing that would make her loosen up her grip. She buried her face in the crook of David's neck as loud sobs continued to escape from her mouth. She felt how David tightened his grip around her body again and it comforted her, knowing that he was by her side.

Every time he hugged her, it helped her to feel safe. It helped her to feel understood in a way not a single word could represent. David's arms were Jennifer's safe place, her home.

Whenever David hugged her, she knew he understood what she was feeling. He emphasized with her.

What she loved the most was that she didn't even have to tell him that she needed his comfort. David could read her like an open book, and he would be by her side whenever she needed him to be.

Every time David wrapped his arms tightly secured around her body, she felt like she wasn't alone.

But soon, she would be.

Jennifer needed to accept the fact that David was moving. But it was hard. Too hard.

She didn't want to accept it.
But she had to.

David began to walk towards his bedroom with Jennifer still in his arms. He put his hands under her thighs, to help him support her body weight.

He gently placed her on his bed, but she continued to hold on to the fabric of his shirt, afraid to lose body contact with him.

"Sweetie, you have to let go, " David whispered and gently rubbed her back.

Jennifer didn't respond. Instead, she tightened her grip and pulled him closer, forcing David to fall on top of her.

David was hovering over her, Jennifer was hugging him for dear life. She didn't care about how much he weighed. She needed to feel his body against hers. His weight squished her down into the mattress, but the pressure made her feel safe, like nobody was ever going to hurt her. David's body was covering her shaking body, protecting her from the world.

Tonight, David wanted to protect her from everything evil that might cause her pain.

After a few minutes, David rolled them over and pulled Jennifer's body on top of his. She made no sign of resistance. There was no need, she wanted to be held by him.

Silence lingered between the two of them. Jennifer's cries began to die down, soon only breathing could be heard from her. Silent tears still made their way down her cheeks, but she didn't bother stopping them.