Chapter 9

David has been going in circles all day long, waiting for Jennifer to call him back.

The thoughts roaming in his head were driving him crazy.

Why hasn't she called back?

David feared that something had happened, that they were back in square one, not talking to each other.

He had tried calling her yesterday, almost immediately after he kindly had excused himself from his date.

He couldn't be in that room, not when he had realized that the woman in front of him, should have been Jennifer.

David came to a point where he couldn't breathe. He needed to get out, as fast as possible. He felt bad about leaving Amanda, but he felt even worse staying there.

The second he had left the restaurant, David had picked up his phone and called Jennifer's number. He needed to hear her voice. But to his disappointment, she didn't pick up.

The second best option was leaving her a voice message, asking her to call him back.

So that was what he did.

He had waited exactly twenty-four hours now, and he had still not heard a single word from her.

......

Jennifer was sitting on the patio. Like every other day, she was watching the sunset, it was her favorite thing to do.

It was a beautiful evening. The sun was setting, the sky was clear from clouds. Birds were singing their beautiful melody, harmonizing with the sound of moving leaves.

Jennifer was cuddling in a loveseat, wrapped up in a blanket with Norman sleeping by her side. She had a photo album in her lap. Her favorite one.

Carefully, she turned the pages of the album. They were filled with pictures from her time on Friends. Pictures of ten years, all gathered on one album.
She smiled as thousands of memories came flooding back to her.

Funny memories. Sweet, wonderful memories.
It felt like it was a lifetime ago. It felt like it happened in another life.

Jennifer turned pages for hours on end when suddenly, she came to a stop.
She took a deep breath as she allowed the tip of her finger to gently trace along with the surface of the polaroid photo that caught her eye.

David. It was a picture of him together with Norman.

Jennifer smiled as her eyes absorbed every detail of the photo. She remembered when she had taken it.

She remembered it like it was yesterday.

........
2003

"David?" Jennifer's voice could be heard on the almost empty set.

She opened the door to his dressing room, only to find it empty.

"David?" Jennifer called out again. No one answered.

A frown grew on her face. She hasn't seen him for the past hours.

He has to be somewhere.

Jennifer closed the door again and began to walk towards her own dressing room.
She opened the door but almost immediately stopped in her track when her eyes landed on something beautiful. Her heart melted at the sight before her.