Chapter 8

Please. At least try.

Jennifer's words have been the only thing David could think about since the one particular phone conversation they had four weeks ago.

David had tried for a month now.

Has he succeeded?

Partly, yes.

He had grown to love the city. New York was beautiful. It was everything he had dreamed of it to be. However, David was still missing something in his life.

A special someone.

David has believed that Jennifer was his special someone for years now, and he still does to this day. However, it was clear to him that Jennifer wouldn't allow their relationship to blossom into what he wanted it to be, something much deeper and intimate.

They have talked on the phone every day for the past month, and each time, he hoped to hear a confession of her feelings slipping from her mouth. But every time, he was left disappointed.

Please. At least try.

David knew she was scared, he understood that. A part of him was scared as well, but unlike her, he was ready to give it a chance.

That was what was heartbreaking to him. He had come to a point where he couldn't wait any longer. He had already waited for years now, he needed to move on.

Please. At least try.

David could still hear her trembling words loud and clear. Her words acted like a knife punctuating his lungs. He wanted to scream at her, beg her to give him a chance.
But he didn't. His lips were sealed shut the second he heard her words.

He wished he could turn back time and end their conversation before the words had left her mouth. He wished he hadn't heard them, because then, he wouldn't have to give up on her.

Please. At least try.

David was going to try.
He was giving it a chance.

David was standing in front of the mirror, checking his outfit one last time before it was time for him to leave for his date.

Two days ago, he had met a girl whilst shopping for groceries. They had talked and as it turned out, they had a lot in common.

David liked her. She was different but in a good way. She was nothing like Jennifer, completely the opposite.

David took a deep breath. He was nervous. Very nervous. He wasn't sure if this was what he wanted to do. If it even was the right thing to do. Nevertheless, he was giving it a chance. He had to.

With one final look in the mirror, he turned around and gathered his belongings before he went out of his apartment and closed the door behind him.

........
2002

Jennifer was slowly walking towards the couch standing on the set of Monica and Chandler's apartment. Her eyes were focusing on the figure lying on it.

David.

A smile slowly began to form on her lips as she watched him sleeping peacefully on the couch. Memories of the time when David used to spoon her from behind during breaks flashed before her eyes.