Chapter Eight: People Fear What They Don't Understand

Things didn't explode the moment you got back to the compound. Apparently, the news of you threatening a reporter had not reached the rest of the team just yet. Despite how little time it had been, you were surprised. Something like this was bound to spread like wildfire. 

You hovered around Wanda as you waited for the news to hit. Helping her unpack the groceries and then trailing her to the library. You just weren't sure what to do with yourself. Wanda was quiet but kind. She didn't seem to mind you following her but you could tell that she had concerns of her own.

"Are you going to follow me everywhere I go?" She finally asked you, her tone gentle. 

You paused, glancing away from her for a minute. "I'm just... waiting for one of them to find out. They're all going to be angry. Even Clint." You finally mumble. "I just didn't really know what else to do." 

Wanda's look is gentle and she nods slightly. "I understand. I don't mind the company." She replies, glancing at the library around her. "You should read something."

You contemplate that for a moment, your mind drifting to remind you of how odd it was that this was where your life was at now. Spending the day with Wanda without anyone asking you to, if only for the simple reason that you enjoyed her company. For the simple reason that having her around you while you waited for repercussions from the team was comforting. With that thought, you scan the shelves, eventually picking up one of your favorite books from when you were younger, Alice In Wonderland. 

You allow yourself to fall into the story for a while, enjoying the peace. The room was quiet, save for the quiet rustle of pages turning. Even as you enjoyed the time, however, you recognized that this would be short-lived. Everything around you felt fragile. As though if you made a sudden move, or even breathed too loudly, you would find everything around you collapsing again. You hadn't felt this type of comfort in what felt like forever, so it couldn't last long. Could it?

It was only half an hour later when the door to the library burst open. Tony was in front of you in an instant, the anger clear on his face, followed by Nat. 

You close your book, glancing over once at Wanda who was already on her feet, moving to leave the room. She offers you a half reassuring smile before slipping out the door, leaving you alone with the two members of the team. You turn your gaze back to Tony who is glaring at you. 

"What the hell were you thinking?" Tony starts, continuing before you could even get a word out. "You threatened a reporter in broad daylight, in front of hundreds of spectators! You could get arrested and with your powers? The government will view you as a massive threat."

"You know I'm not. So just tell them that." You reply, your voice going flat, emotionless. You could act as though this was no big deal. You were already trying to convince your brain of that, not wanting to spiral into worry. 

"Oh! Yeah. I'll just tell them that. They're sure to believe me after you just threatened to kill a reporter. And for what? For the girl that you hated only a week ago?" Tony yells. "This is the biggest mess you've ever made for me, and trust me, you've made a lot of damn messes." He continues, rage fueling him now. You braced yourself now, taking a deep breath. You could tell he was past the point of reason, and when he got like this, though it wasn't often, he was likely to say some extremely hurtful things. 

"Tony they called her a terrorist!" You reply, your voice beginning to waver as you glance towards Nat. "Come on Nat, you have to be on my side here. She's only eighteen, just like me and they're calling her a terrorist!" 

Nat's lips are pursed, and despite how desperate your words are, she does not defend you. "Y/N... You threatened a reporter."

"I'm aware of what I did! You don't need to keep saying it." You snap. They were acting as though you had no comprehension of the world around you. And, while you understood you were acting uncaring about the situation at hand, it didn't mean that you don't care. Nor that you don't understand the consequences that could come from this.