Chapter Eleven: You Did Good

The first thing you hear after regaining confidence is the calm beep of machines. For a moment you can't remember where you are and your entire throat feels like it's going to close up. You sit bolt upright, your eyes opening to the bright lights of the med bay in the compound. Though you recognize your surroundings, your brain can't seem to comprehend. Your brain fills with pure panic, and your breath quickens. You glance down at your body to find an IV sticking out from your arm. You reach over, your hand shaking as you pull the needle free. You can't stand needles. They remind you of your past. Of HYDRA.

"Y/N! Y/N! It's okay, you're alright." At the sound of the familiar voice, your brain finally begins to comprehend what's going on. The events that had lead you here coming back to you in a wave. 

Your eyes settled on Nat as one thought entered your brain. "Where's Wanda?" You managed, your voice hoarse. 

Nat looks surprised by the question for a moment as she makes her way towards you, palms up so as not to look threatening. "She's resting. She's okay." She answers. 

At those words you relax, the adrenaline slowly fading as you realize how exhausted you feel. It's as though all your energy had been leached from your bones. You bring your hands to your head as it begins to pound. You sit there for a moment, head in your hands, and let out a groan. With the rush of adrenaline, your body hadn't really allowed you to feel the full effects of whatever had happened to you. Now that you were still, it was all you could feel. 

Nat reaches out and rests a gentle hand on your shoulder. "Are you alright?" She asks, gently guiding you back towards the bed.

You sit down, waiting a moment before shaking your head slightly, trying to remember what could have made you feel this awful. You can't seem to remember and as Nat sits next to you, you lean on her. "What happened?" You ask, your voice more even now that you had calmed down.

"You saved Wanda." Nat starts, putting an arm around you. "And it was dangerous and stupid and you could have gotten yourself killed." She continues. 

"Yeah I remember all that but why did I pass out?" You cut her off, not wanting to hear anything else about how stupid you'd been. 

Nat sighs, closing her eyes for a minute. "We don't know." She says as she opens them again. "You have a mark on your neck that looks a bit like a needle mark. We don't know what happened." She explains, a bit of concern coming through in her voice.

At the mention of a needle your entire body tenses. Your hand flies to the back of your neck, feeling a tiny scab there. Your stomach twists at the feeling. Your mind flashing back to your time with HYDRA. All the experiments that you went through there. "You don't know what they injected into me? How do you... How do you not know?" You manage, your voice beginning to waver again. 

"We don't necessarily know that you were injected with anything. It could simply be meant to scare you. Tony's running a blood test now, it should be ready in a few hours." Nat answers, her voice taking on a soothing tone.

"I passed out, that can't be from nothing!" You snap, your voice growing more panicked. 

"Y/N." Nat's voice is calm. "You could have passed out from any number of things. There was a lot of smoke in the building, you could have taken in too much. The lack of adrenaline could have weakened you once you knew Wanda was safe. Hell, even just using your powers could have exhausted you." She continues, her tone continuing to soothe you.

You shiver against her, anxiety rippling through you. "Why would they do that just to scare me?" You ask her after a moment.

Nat's quiet for a minute, and you come to the conclusion that she might actually have to think about her answer, causing your anxiety to spike. "Because they've messed with your head before Y/N. And they know that they can do it again. They know how much of what they did to you is ingrained in your mind. Maybe they want to see how much control they still have over you."