Bridesmaid's Dress

Modern Day

"You look amazing," Edmond whispered, his lips brushing my ear.

I lifted my champagne glass and took a small sip of blood, trying to keep from smiling.

Jason and Gideon's wedding ceremony was over, and now the guests were all gathered in the dining hall, the humans eating canapés, and the vampires drinking blood, while the ballroom was transformed from wedding venue to reception space.

"You're looking especially gorgeous yourself," I said.

In a tailored suit of charcoal grey, his raven's-wing hair tied back for once rather than spilling around his shoulders, Edmond was more beautiful than anyone had a right to be.

I'd always been happy with the way I looked, but Edmond was so ridiculously hot that I'd once worried that he was out of my league.

I didn't worry about that anymore.

The emerald engagement ring on my finger was a testament to the fact that Edmond only had eyes for me, and besides, I was feeling particularly good in this dress.

The green silk – same colour as my ring – clung to my curves and the front was cut low, showing off a decent amount of cleavage. With my hair curled and pinned up, studded with tiny flowers, and my makeup fresh and understated, thanks to Roux, I felt sexy and confident, and more than good enough for anyone.

Edmond's hand rested on my hip, squeezing slightly. "There's something I need to talk to you about," he whispered.

I looked up at him; his face was serious.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Not here. Come with me."

My heart was in my throat as Edmond led me away from the dining hall and through Belle Morte's hallways until we reached the library. What was so important that it couldn't wait until after Jason's wedding?

Edmond ushered me into the library and closed the door behind us.

"What's wr –"

Edmond's mouth came down on mine, hard and eager enough that it would have stolen my breath if I still had any.

He propelled me backwards, across the floor and over to the bookshelves, by one of the sofas.

"I'm sorry, mon ange, but I've been fighting not to ravish you since I first saw you in this dress," Edmond said.

"Wait, so nothing's wrong? You were just trying to get me away from the dining hall?" I said.

Edmond tried to look repentant, but his eyes sparkled wickedly. "Guilty as charged," he admitted.

I slapped his chest. "I was really worried!"

"I'm sorry," Edmond said, catching my hand and kissing it.

"You don't look sorry."

The sparkle in his eyes grew hotter, like a stoked fire. "Perhaps I should make it up to you."

He dropped fluidly to his knees, graceful as a cat, and ran his hands up my legs, pushing my dress up at the same time.

"Your skin is so soft," he whispered, his fingertips trailing over my inner thighs, so close to where I wanted him to be.

"Edmond –"

He grabbed my leg and lifted it, draping it over his shoulder, bringing me close to him in the most intimate way, and then with his other hand he tore my underwear away.