Chapter 6: Visible

Hagakure awoke to find herself lying in a hospital bed, her arms completely covered in thick bandages.  He head was pounding and her whole body ached but other than that she seemed to be ok.   She lay in silence for a few minutes, her eyes adjusting to the light before the door opened.

"Good you're awake"

Aizawa said as he walked over to her bedside. He had a massive scar over his right eye and his left arm was in a sling. 

"How are you feeling?"

"Eh I've been better but I'll be all right"

Hagakure chuckled as she slowly regained her strength.

"What happened? Is everyone else ok?"

She asked worriedly.

"The blast incapacitated most of us but the second SWAT team breached the warehouse a minute later and finished the job. Kaizu is in custody, the SAQ have been shut down, and their new weapon is being dismantled as we speak" 

Hagakure was relieved that everyone was ok and that the mission was a success in the end.

"You did a great job.  We won today because of the intelligence you gathered.  I should have pressured Best Jeanist to pull you out as soon as Kaizu showed up.  You wouldn't have gotten hurt and I'm truly sorry for that"

Aizawa bowed, hoping for her forgiveness. 

"No I accepted the risks when I took on this mission.  It's not your fault at all Mr. Aizawa.  You came when you did and I'm grateful for that"

She replied trying to put her teacher at ease, but Aizawa didn't look up from the floor. 

"I'm afraid it's a bit more than scrapes and burns Hagakure.  The crystal they were using for their energy cannon is highly radioactive and dangerous.  I'm afraid in that blast......"

Aizawa struggled to complete the sentence. 

"Your quirk genes sustained heavy damage.  They aren't completely destroyed but..."

Aizawa couldn't finish and instead held up a mirror for Hagakure to see for herself.  She gasped when she saw what was looking back at her.  It wasn't just some floating bandages but an actual face! She reached up and touched her skin to make sure she was seeing things correctly.  Sure enough, she was completely visible now. She took the mirror and examined every part of herself that wasn't covered with bandages. From the outside, one would assume she was a vain narcissist but anyone who knew her would know this was ten years too late. She looked just like she did when she was six but older. Her wavy brunette hair just past her shoulders, her bright blue eyes and big dark lashes, her freckles that dotted her face. Everything was the same as she remembered it.

"I can't believe it! I can see myself!"

She exclaimed to Aizawa's delight.

"Most people would have a different reaction to losing their quirk but I'm glad it has had the adverse effect. Besides your quirk genes, you suffered a few nasty burns but those should go away within a few days. Get some rest and I'll see you back in class next week"

Aizawa patted her shoulder as he got up to leave.

"I thought you were blonde"

He chuckled as he closed the door leaving her alone in her room. She thought about her classmates and what their reactions would be next time she showed up. Would they know it was her? Would they think she was ugly? Would they think she was cute? She especially hoped one boy in particular would think the latter. The door opened again as a nurse walked in carrying a clipboard.

"And how are you today Miss Hagakure"

The nurse smiled as she recorded her vitals took down some measurements.

"I'm great thank you!"

Hagakure said cheerfully. For indeed she was great. The only thing running through her mind was that people could actually see her. No more accidentally bumping into others, no more self doubt, and most importantly, she could finally do her hair and makeup again like all the other girls in her class. She felt like she regained her humanity, despite losing her quirk.

"All right well I'm just going to be conducting some tests to see if we can find a way to get you back to normal"

The nurse said as she began setting up the equipment.

What are you talking about? I AM back to normal

But at the end of the day, she had to admit the invisibility wasn't all bad.  It allowed her to get into UA and become a hero.  Her heart's desire ever since she was a little girl.  After a CT scan, a blood test, and a MRI, the nurse came back with the results. 

"Good news Hagakure! Your quirk genes did suffer some radiation damage, but it's nothing we can't fix with gene splicing surgery.  We can get you in as early as tomorrow afternoon sound good?"

Hagakure froze.  She wasn't ready to go back to being invisible yet.  Aizawa never stressed that she HAD to get her quirk back as soon as possible.  There were still so many things she wanted to do and experience, most of them involving Ojiro. 

"Um actually could we postpone the surgery?"

She asked nervously tapping her fingers.  The nurse gave her a confused look but nodded. 

"Yes dear whenever you're ready just come see us"

The nurse replied as she left the room.  Hagakure squealed with delight, planning her big comeback and how she was going to prank her friends.  Aizawa wasn't letting anyone visit her and no one knew a thing. 

This is gonna be the biggest shock of their lives!

She chuckled to herself as she passed out.