33

After we finish eating, Mike and I drop everything off at my apartment, and Laura picked us up. She's a taller girl, not as tall as Mae but still tall. She has short brunette hair and a slim build. We're on our way to get me a bed, and some small tables, shelves, and decorations to help make the new place feel like home. Since Laura's truck is bigger than mine and Mike's cars combined, I can get more without having to make multiple trips. Laura and I are bonding over small similarities, like skateboarding and music taste. She reminds me of Kat enough that I feel comfortable around her. When we arrive at the store she helps me chose more than Mike, but maybe her point of view is better anyways. She has good taste and so far has been a big help.

Back at my apartment Laura and I have been doing most of the work. I asked Mike to set up the stools at the breakfast bar, but he's sitting on the floor on his phone. "Mike could you please-"

"I'm getting to it." He interrupts me. "You've been getting to it for an hour." I roll my eyes, standing from my position by the bed frame. "It has not been an hour." He is still scrolling through his socials while arguing. "Mike get off your ass and do something already." Laura comes out of the bathroom where she was putting up shelves. Mike glares at her for a second, but then gets up to do what was asked of him. I smile at her as a way of saying thank you, she nods then walks to the kitchen to get a drink. After a while Mike has finished one chair and is laying on the ground like it took all his energy, but as soon as Laura walks back into the room he gets back to work. It's a if she has some kind of power over him. After some time of working I am getting hungry and suggest lunch to Laura. "Yes, lets do it. I am also very very hungry." She nods in agreement. We both look at Michael who hasn't made a move to respond. "What?" He is finishing putting together a small table I will be using as a bedside table. "Lunch?" Laura asks him. "I'm down, just let me finish this." His whole mood has changed from this morning, now he seems more motivated. Tired and irritated, but motivated.

After Mike has finished the table we leave for lunch. We decided on a chain restaurant that still serves relatively healthy food. "So why are you moving into a new place? If you don't mind me asking. I just don't really know the story behind any of this." Laura asks me while we're deciding on what to eat. "I've been craving independence. I was living with someone, and she always had friends over. There was nothing wrong with her or her friends. I just needed to live on my own at least for a while." I say in the simplest of terms. "Sounds crowded. I would move too, I need my space." I can see Mike giving me a weird look out of the corner of my eye. I know he's thinking something but I don't feel like dealing with him right now. "I was okay with it, Kat and her friends are amazing. I don't frankly trust myself to be alone all that often, but I needed to at least try it." I shrug, trying to make it seem like not a big deal. "Everything is worth a try at least once." She smiles. "Didn't you say your roommate is getting married?" Mike asks, seemingly confused. "I did say she might be, considering how well her and Daniel are. Neither of them actually said anything about getting married, but I can sense it coming." I half agree with his comment. "I'm guessing Daniel is one of the people over all the time?" Laura asks. "Yeah, Him and Kat are adorable and pretty much living together. That's another reason I moved. I don't want to be in their way." Laura seems intrigued, nodding along as I speak. "If they get married I'll be your date." Her and I laugh, Mike is just smiling as if holding in laughter. "Too late, I already offered." He puts on a smug smile when Laura turns to look at him. "What if she prefers me?" Laura raises her eyebrows. "I doubt she would." Mike laughs to himself. Laura has a fake pissed-off look on her face, but she is holding back laughter. "Wanna go?" She puffs up her chest as if trying to make herself look bigger. "Outside, I don't want to ruin this quaint little place." He says, mimicking her by also puffing his chest. They just stand there looking at each other for a while before laughing it off. "But for real if you need a plus one, or plus two we'll come with you." Laura smiles, and puts her arm around Mike's shoulders. "Thank you guys, I might just go alone but thank you." I grin and step forward following the line. "It'd honestly be no problem." Mike grabs my shoulder to reassure me.

We get our food and sit at a table outside. The meal was good, and I was thankful for the company. We wrap it up quickly and head back to the apartment where we sit at the breakfast nook just to let our food settle before getting back to work. Almost immediately after I sit down my phone starts to ring. I look at the screen and the name across the top is Kat. "I'll be right back." I get up and go to the hallway so we can have a private conversation. "Hey, what's up?" I say when I pick up. "Where are you? I thought you were going to be here for breakfast." She sounds upset, which makes me feel guilty. "I went to breakfast with Mike. He invited his friend Laura to help us move my stuff since she has a truck. I'm sorry I forgot to let you know I was leaving early this morning." I am trying my best not to pull at any nerves. "It's okay, I was just worried. Be safe, and sorry I called so late I thought you might have just gone out to grab something or were sleeping in." She has a shaky aspect to her voice like she might have been crying or about to cry. "I'm okay, and I'm sorry. I can come see you once everything here is settled." Reassurance is hard in this situation. "It's okay no need to come back. I just wanted to know you were okay." I can hear her trying to make sure she doesn't disturb anything I might have planned. "I don't have anything so if you want me to come over just let me know." I smile as if she can see me. "I will. Miss you already." She says, and hangs up before I can say anything else. I put my phone back in my pocket and go to open the door, which locked behind me. I can hear a small commotion inside before the door opens. Mike is on the other side smiling at me, obvious that he wants to laugh at the fact that I locked myself out already. "Shh I don't need to hear it." I smile at him and put up my finger as a sense of shushing him. "I wasn't going to say anything." He shrugs then laughing a little. I glare at him in a joking way as I walk by.