37| To Break Is To Heal {Part Two}

[TW// retrospective childhood trauma, fire, religious fanaticism/abuse, moderate angst, character death, blood and injury, moderate anxiety and panic

[TW// retrospective childhood trauma, fire, religious fanaticism/abuse, moderate angst, character death, blood and injury, moderate anxiety and panic. Referenced past self-harm]

Lancelot relives his past in the world of the Between.

"Lancelot?"

He dragged his eyes over, following the familiar voice woven from silk which said his name. Ari was walking towards him with her own golden horse as he stood by his. His mind must have blanked for a moment because he felt lost, and he had to suddenly remind himself where he was. He blinked to bring himself back and focussed on her.

"You will ride with me?" She asked as she stopped herself and Dusty not too close to him and Goliath, the others around them preparing their own mounts. They undoubtedly heard her request since they were the only ones here in this part of the camp. It was a question but to him it felt more like a subtle command, and he would not refuse her.

Lancelot nodded, stepping back to mount up into Goliath's saddle.

Ten of them set out, traveling in pairs as they patrolled the forest boundary. Part of his new conditions for being integrated into the camp, as agreed upon by Ari and the council in the morning, was this; that he would be allowed to scout or at least join the patrols. The queen persuaded the elders that there was little that he could do to displease them or break his oath. It would be pointless if he attempted to escape them because where would he go? He would be hunted by both Fey and Paladin so the attempt would be pointless.

This was his first outing with them but he learned what was happening quickly, it wasn't difficult to understand. They travel in pairs fifteen lengths or so apart and watch for anything in the distance out of their forest bounds. They would check any animal traps as well and mark any tracks out for the hunters to follow. It was a fairly simple ordeal and Lancelot had seen Ari ride out from the clearing most days.

The sun was hiding between the overcast clouds up above so it was hard to tell, but it was perhaps just after midday. Ari and Lancelot were the third pair in the party, keeping the queen in the centre. The latter had not been out on his horse for days, and the fresh air away from that which is clouded by the mass of Fey scents in the camp almost felt like relief. He could feel himself relaxing the further that they got into the marked out trails of the forest. So far he had said little to her. His mind was still tired and elsewhere.

"How are you feeling today?" Ari asked him softly when they finally had some distance from the other riders who were chatting between themselves, recalling the verge that she had watched him step impossibly close to two nights before.

He looked across to her, surprised by the question but it did not show. His weary mind got lost in the comfort of her eyes as he remembered.

~•~