Chapter 18: Cute And Challenging

It's Thursday after school. The kids decided to stay at school and hang around before going home. Maya started to get anxious because in study hall, she was going through her Instagram feed and found out that her dad is moving to Texas. The two girls are walking, not running, on the high school track, just talking. Carina is trying to calm her down.

"I mean, he just up and left. Didn't think to tell me. Or Mason. He just forgot. Like, he's gonna start a new family and fucking spoil them and later in life, come visit me and be like," She goes into a deeper voice mockingly, "Oh, hey kids I had with a different women. I don't know your names but here's my new wife and 7 million kids. They are so loved unlike-,"

Carina cut her off. She turns to her looking her in the eyes with her arms draped over the shorter girl's shoulders, "Look at me," Maya tried to avoid eye contact. She finally gave in and looked at the girl standing in front of her, "Yes, your papà just left, it's his loss. He lost the most beautiful, loving, kind, sweet daughter he could ever have. There aren't words to describe you. And Mason, he's smart and funny. He gave up the best children he's ever had," Maya's breathing still a little heavy.

"You're just saying that," She avoids eye contact again.

"No I'm not. You are my fidanzata and I love you. And I meant every word of what I said. I promise," the blonde nodded, her breathing slowing down. "Come on, let's go sit on the benches,"

Carina asks wordless for her hand and she accepts. They walk hand in hand around the track and climbed to the top of the bleachers. They sat next to each other while Maya laid her head on the shoulder next to her. "Where are the boys,"

"Playing football,"

"We don't have a football field," Maya stated confused.

"What are you...oh. It's...ahh...s-soc-soccer. Yes that's it,"

"Oh!!! Soccer. You called it football?"

"That's what we call it over seas,"

There is a comfortable silence that's between them. Carina then reaches for her bag then pulls out a sketch book and a pencil and places it on her lap. "I didn't know you could draw,"

"Wha- we've been dating for a year and you've never seen me draw?"

"Nope,"

"Oh, I didn't know that," she begins to sketch what looks like nonsense to Maya but makes total sense to the one with the pencil. She starts with two circles then adds chins and begins on the body.

"Whatcha drawing?"

"You'll see when I'm finished," Maya groans annoyed but is just playing, "Oh, my God. Impatient much?"

Maya nods, "very,"

After a few minutes of drawing, she has most of the body sketched out by now, "Baby," Carina refocuses her attention to the person next to her, "when we were on the track and we were talking, you said a word in Italian. It began with an 'f' I think,"

"Oh, fidanzata. I thought you knew that word,"

"No, no I do. It means girlfriend I don't know how to pronounce it,"

Carina laughs, "okay okay. Fi-dan-za-ta,"

"Fidantata,"

"No, bambina. There's a 'z' not a 't',"

"Fidanzata,"

"Yeah there ya go, fidanzata," Carina turns her attention back to her drawing and feels a head lay back on her shoulder with blue eyes staring at the pad as a pencil scrapes across it.