I'm here with you

"It's just my sick imagination. It's not there. It's not him. It's all in my head."

Those were the words I kept telling myself. Sometimes I really thought about it because I knew I wasn't always right.

"I'm not going to think about it. I don't want to waste my time with it again. Why don't I just put the box back and ignore what actually happened?"

I think that's the best idea.

After a while I was close to the box. I picked it up and saw that on the other side of the piece of paper stuck to it was something written, something like a blurry lettering that just shone through.

"Oh no. That's enough. I'm not paying attention anymore, I've had enough!"

I won't lie to myself. My interest in it has outweighed anything else around here. But I won't do it this time. I won't turn the page. No way.

"Who am I kidding..."

Not even a second later, I did it. Yes. I turned that piece of paper over.

"I just wish that I could see through you."

Any more words? I still didn't get an answer. I still don't know if it was a Dream or not. Wasn't it all something I created, something that doesn't really exist?

"Yes, it's me, Dream."

"DREAM?"

"That's not happening. What just happened has left me completely numb. Did he just... Did he...

"Yes George, I spoke up.You still think I'm not here, huh?" he answered me in a confident yet calm voice.

I had so many questions. How did he get here? How are we talking? Is what is happening even physically possible?

After a while, I felt something that made me immediately get a lot of stress.

I felt his hand on my shoulder.

"Wait it's you...can you see me?" I said in an unsure voice.

"Yes george, I can see you."

"But how...I couldn't see you before...then what happened now?" I replied with concern in my voice.

"Oh silly, look at your hands. What are you holding in them? Exactly. A piece of paper.
I've been able to hear you all this time and so I wrote all this and all the stuff in the box belongs to me too."

"Wait, but what are you trying to tell me. It still doesn't explain it all."

"Oohhh, George. At the moment when you hold my thing, you're able to see me. You're able to touch me. You're with me." said the boy who was taller than me and then smiled tenderly.

It's all absurd, a mockery. How can a mere piece of paper decide such a thing. But maybe he's telling the truth? Maybe there's something in it after all.

"But it seems impossible..."

"But it is possible, George. Not everything is what it seems, is it?"

I was scared. I talked to Dream, but was it really him? Or was it his ghost? How is all this even happening?

"Believe me, I know all this may seem hard for you. But I'm here with you. We're here together. We're in this together. I don't know what I could do to be here with you forever.
The past, it all seems so... different. Old. If I can even call it that."

"What do you mean, the past?" I said curiously.

What was he talking about. The past? What do you mean- past?

"It's more complicated than that and one day I'll tell you about it, I promise. But not today. I'll do it at the right moment" he said and then he looked me straight in the eyes.

I wasn't able to make eye contact.Not even a moment passed and I looked down at the floor.

"Don't be afraid of me George. I promise you I won't hurt you" he said then grabbed me by the chin and lifted my head up.

"Dream?"

"George?"

"I'm worried about you. You're living in a world that doesn't exist anymore. A world where everything happened. A world that just... existed. Is there any way I can help you?"
I said, staring into his eyes, and then I overcame my greatest fear.

"Relax. I'll be fine. You're the most important thing to me now."
he said, and he moved his hand from my chin to my hand and grabbed it.

"I've said many times that I felt safe. That I felt so much better. But the feeling I got now was the feeling I missed. It was the feeling from the past. It was the fact that I had someone I loved.
Someone I like much more than a friend."

Everything was amazing. I felt like I'd never been happier than I am right now. But even the best moments... they have to come to an end.

I knew that even though what was happening was wonderful, it wouldn't last. It wasn't just one street between us, it was two different realities. Something that had already happened - and something that was still to come.