Stay

"Hank Voight, you are suspended, pending the investigation of your involvement in the shooting of Eric Watts."

Voight considered the Commander standing across from his desk, flanked with officers on either side.

"On what grounds."

Crowley didn't appreciate his calm, arrogant and so certain nothing could take him down, and the Commander sniffed. "The testimony of Detective Eric Watts."

There, she saw it, a faint flinch in his gaze like she had struck a nerve. He hadn't been expecting her to find enough evidence, but she had. Not enough to arrest but enough to get him off of this job and out behind the cover of his badge.

"Surrender your badge and gun. And leave the premises."

She could tell he debated it. A calculating look as temper threatened to flare, and she nodded just enough for her officers to step forward. This was her precinct, her office, and there wouldn't be any disillusionment of who was in charge.

"This isn't gonna play out, Commander," his badge hit the desk with a satisfying thud, "You're wasting resources when I got a case to solve." His weapon was placed with less force just beside.

"A case your people never got permission to reopen." The commander pointed out, "An oversight that will be corrected. In your absence."

An officer stepped forward, reaching for Voight's arm to escort him out when a look stopped him cold.

"I'll walk by myself, kid."

And he did. Past Erin's furious expression and the restraining hand Jay had on her arm. Past the desk that stood empty, Lana still out, still helping Eric. Did she know? That it was his testimony that was forcing Voight out the door.

A silent room waited until they disappeared down the stairs, then Erin jerked away from Jay.

"We're not seriously going to let this happen, are we!"

"...What just happened?" It didn't take Attwater long to realize that no one was in the mood to answer his question.

"Look, we'll figure something out," Jay reached for Erin again, her look making it painfully clear she was not in the mood to be touched.

"I'm going to see what's going on. Platt should know something."

But Antonio cut her off. "Not in that mood you aren't. We don't need you starting something with the commander when Voight's already on thin ice. I'll go."

"He's right," Jay added, "you need to cool off some."

Erin didn't look happy, but she backed down enough.

Attwater glanced at his watch, "Oh shoot, Jay, the meeting." he grabbed his coat, hurrying Jay along. They were already late and this whole fiasco would just have to wait.

"Babe, I gotta go," Jay had completely forgotten they were meeting a witness today, "You'll be alright?" he hesitated at her side, halfway through shrugging into his coat.

"Yes. Go. I'll be fine." She waved them out, taking a slow breath.

"So..." Ruzek began in the almost vacant space.

Erin sent him a dark glance, 'Shut it, Alan."

*****

"That's all I know, kid." Platt tapped the stack of papers she held into a straight line, and jammed them under the stapler.

Antonio frowned, Erin was gonna want more than that. All Platt could say was Eric's statement had been enough to suspend Voight, and they had just witnessed that much upstairs.