Deeper

She awoke to her alarm, smacking at her phone to get it shut up. She had slept, better than she expected, but her phone had gone off in the middle of a dream and jarred her out of REM. She had trouble turning the coffee pot on, couldn't seem to keep both eyes open and blinked heavily when a thud sounded on her door. It came again, someone knocking, and she shuffled to it with very little thought. Voight stood there, a gym bag slung over his shoulder, a smile on that stupidly handsome face and Lana scowled at him. "How... What?" He held out a white coffee cup to her, and she took it, silently letting him in. Her tshirt barely reached her thighs, hair a tangled knot, with sleep still gunked in the corner of her eyes, and they widened as her first sip of coffee helped wake her brain up. She hadn't even brushed her teeth yet. He settled his hip against her counter, crossed his arms and watched her with a smile pulling at the corners of his mouth. "Did I wake you?""No," she shot back, defensively, and she could tell he didn't believe her. "I figured you'd be up, I wanted to catch you before you left. Figured you might want to get some sparring in before shift." "Normally?" she croaked, "Yeah. But I need a minute to wake up. I haven't even showered yet."His eyes narrowed, a tight little smile playing at his lips and he stepped nearer. "You haven't?"He kissed her, before she really even realized he was moving, his body had met hers. He tasted like coffee and cold air and she was surprised at the sound that left her. He walked her down her own hall, hands not leaving her, insistent and moving until he presses her against the wall by her shower and reaches in to turn the water on. It heats, spilling steam into the air and he pushes her into the shower. Her shock of laughter turns to shaken breath as he follows. The water drenches her tshirt to her body as he kisses her, the water moulding his dark tee against his frame. Their hands leave prints in the steam on the shower door, as the water collects and trails down the glass.

****

Lana toweled through her hair, watching Voight flip the eggs that were finishing in the pan. She dropped her towel over the chair and stretched, feeling it in every part of her."So much for sparring," she muttered, grabbing another cup of coffee, and Voight sent her a glance, dropping the kitchen towel over his shoulder."I'm pretty sure that counted."His smirk made her cheeks heat. The way he was standing in her tiny kitchen, cooking them breakfast as they began their day together left a tight feeling in her stomach. "I'm gonna be late," her gaze darted away from him to the clock over the microwave. "You have time to eat," he countered, dishing the eggs out on a plate, "I'll give you a ride in."She hesitated. She didn't even really know why. Something about arriving together had her hands tightening on her coffee mug. "Right," Hank read her look and realized what it meant. Them coming in together would cause talk. What they were doing, him being with her, was against the rules. He was willing to break them, had never really cared about his reputation there, but it was different for her. A younger female cop, new to the precinct, arriving with her commanding officer. There were dozens of ways that could go poorly for her and he was annoyed with himself that he had even suggested it. He didn't need to be doing anything to make this hard on her.He set the plate down on the counter, sticking a fork into the eggs. "Eat," he jabbed a finger at her breakfast and grabbed his bag. He stopped long enough to press a kiss to her forehead. "I'll see you at precinct." The look he sent her held even understanding, and Lana was relieved she hadn't even had to try to explain.Doing this, being this with Voight, it left her feeling ways she didn't understand. So steady, like stepping off a boat onto the solid unmoving dock. The ground beneath her feet was stable for the first time in who knew how long, but her body hadn't caught up to it. It kept expecting the ground to shift and her knees to buckle. She felt off center because she was finally centered on something real and part of her wanted to bury her face in his chest and shut her eyes until everything stopped spinning. She was happy. And she hated the tiny voice inside that said she couldn't trust it. Because the one thing she knew for absolutely certainty was that she could trust Voight.