Away

Olivia Benson was placing photos on the board, battered woman with lifeless eyes and swollen faces. Six photos side by side as she wrote their names above. The room grew quiet as everyone watched.

"Fifteen years ago a woman was taken at a mall outside of Miami. 72 hours later her body was discovered. There was evidence that she had received beauty treatments, a manicure, a makeover, before she was sexually assaulted and strangled. Two years later another body was found outside of San Fransisco. Same MO. There have been four more cases since, each in different states, but the connection wasn't found until we had a victim in New York."

Sergeant Benson gestured at the last photo, "Chantil Jefferson. Twenty-two years old."

It lay on the room a heavy moment. A girl too young.

"We've run down every angle we can think of. But there has been next to no forensic evidence and what we have found has been wildly inconsistent. The nail polish or make up used, even the style with which it was applied, it's never the same. Six murders, that we know of, and we don't even have a suspect."

"How can we help?" Olinsky asked what they all wanted to know, and Voight stepped up.

"In one of the last cases a burner phone was used at the location the body was found that coincided with the time the ME determined the body had been dumped. They were able to trace it to the supplier. They couldn't get an identity of the buyer but they were able to confirm that a second burner phone was sold at the time of purchase. Sergeant Benson and her team have been monitoring the number and last night the phone was switched on, and used. In Chicago."

Lana felt something cold touch her chest.

"He's in my city," Voight's finger jabbed at the board, voice low and too calm, the type of steady they had all learned not to trust. "And I want him off my streets."

"So what's the plan," Antonio stood, hands on the back of his chair, gaze on the photos of the women.

"Based on what we have pieced together, each woman was taken from a mall, shortly after a public disturbance, usually with a significant other. In each case the woman leaves alone after the argument and never makes it home. They are usually dead within forty eight hours of disappearing." Benson explained.

"So he'll be watching malls." Olinksy stated, his hand clenching and relaxing around the pen he held, posture easy but it was clear in his eyes that his mind was working. "We narrow down where he'll be, and send Erin in, stage a fight and take him down when he tries to take her."

"If he hasn't found one already, "Attwater added, and Voight shook his head.

"He'll be playing a waiting game. His MO in choosing a victim is pretty specific. It might take him a while to find one he likes."

"What, women who get into fights with their man at the mall? I see it happen all the time." Jay interjected, and Olivia raised a hand.

"Yes but from what we've seen, it's more specific than that. Each victim has been a woman of color, taken after an argument with a white male."

Erin shook her head, "Why. That doesn't make any sense."

Olivia shrugged, "We don't know. Certainly something will come up in his psychiatric profile once we catch him to explain, but right now we're in the dark. Olinski had a good idea about staging a fight and seeing if he takes the bait, but unfortunately Erin, you don't fit the profile."

"Yeah, neither does Burgess." Attwater muttered. And Lana sat waiting for them all to realize the obvious.

When it didn't come, she cleared her throat.