Now

"West path clear."

"East is good." Antonio answered Jay's report. "Anything at the play area?"

There was silence and Voight's voice came through. "You got anything, Milani?"

More silence followed, and Antonio frowned. "Anyone got eyes on Milani?"

"Negative." Olinsky responded.

"Keep looking. I'll double back. Eyes open everyone." Voight commanded, and Antonio turned forward with a shrug.

********

Voight tried her again, getting nothing back. It could just be faulty tech but he didn't like this. He scanned the playground, spotted the buildings to the side and headed towards them, retracing her likely search.

He reached the back of the buildings and felt a chill go through him. Milani was there, paused on the path to the ball courts. Her back was to a man who approached her, her focus on anything but the knife in his hand.

There wasn't thought, just reaction. Years of experience pulled his weapon, trained it on the man who lunged for Lana and Voight took the shot.

Lana lurched around, staring at the body as the shot rang in her ears.

It echoed, across the open field and someone screamed. She could imagine, parents grabbing their children, the panic and fear following the sound.

Lana kicked the knife away from a lifeless hand, it registering that this man had tried to use it on her but it didn't quite sink in. Her own training carried her through the motions of securing the scene.

She was calm until Voight reached her, jerked her around to face him. Anger clouded his face, the red kind of fury and a spike of adrenaline went through her heart.

"What the hell was that, Milani!" His finger jabbed at the man on the ground, "Where was your head at, huh?!"

He couldn't stand there and look at her. She had almost taken a knife to the back. Could be lying dead where that man lay instead. It filled his mind, an image he couldn't get out.

She went to answer and he cut her off.

"Go get in the car."

She blinked, dumbfounded.

"GET IN THE CAR!"

One step back, then another, Voight's angry shout echoing like that shot in her mind.

********

Erin was shouting through the comms, and Voight finally heard it. He winced away, snapping out enough details to get her to be quiet.

"Where's Lana," Antonio came sprinting up, taking in the man on the ground, eyes sweeping the scene.

"The car. I'll deal with her later," he jerked his head at the man he had shot, "Call it in."

"Is she alright?" Antonio demanded, and Voight sent him a painfully calm look Antonio recognized too well.

She wouldn't be once Voight was done with her. They had just taken down a guy in a city park. This was going to a bureaucratic nightmare.

Antonio resisted the urge to try and pull Voight back. They had all faced Voight after a particularly stupid mistake, if this was Lana's? Well. She could handle it.

He got to work securing the scene, and just hoped this didn't give her more ammunition to take that job in Miami.

*********