Send

She had let herself get carried away. Hyped up from the capture, coming face to face with Voight, she had forgotten. Where she was. Who he was. What the hell it was she was supposed to be doing.

She knew better. This whole blasted time this had worked because she knew better.

Because she hadn't known better. Seeing Olivia Benson at Voight's door had changed more than she wanted to admit.

It had been hours. Once in custody, they were able to identify the man. Reach in to recesses of his life and learn the hows, the whys.

It was still too sick to make sense.

His name was Renaldo Higuera. He worked as a consultant for a security firm. He traveled constantly, often under the name of the client company they were servicing. Virtually untraceable. His mother, Benson discovered, was a beautician that had been committed to a psych ward after multiple suicide attempts. His biological father was a white male who had assaulted his Hispanic mother. In his mind, he was helping the woman he took by getting them away from the men who hurt them.

It tied it all up in one disgusting bow.

Most cases they never got all the answers. They got enough for trial and let the court run its course but this one, she almost wished it hadn't come together so perfectly.

There was some things she wished she didn't have to know.

She was finishing inputting her report when Voight and Benson stepped out of his office. Benson smiled, and Lana fairly felt the relief coming off of her. She had a way about her that settled over the room. Voight's presence took sharp command. Benson's blanketed it. There was authority but there was warmth there too.

They made a perfectly balanced team.

And for one twisted second she wondered if Benson let Voight do what he wanted. If she saw that rough side of him, or if he poured it out in random strangers at a bar because he couldn't bring it home.

"Hey."

Lana looked up, surprised to find Rodney approaching her desk. He had changed out of the shirt she had soaked, into a casual button up that pulled out the blue of his eyes. Mussed brown hair held just the hint of red, and he grinned at her.

"You really went all out, huh. Just had to embarrass me like that?" he laughed, and Lana shrugged, switching off her computer as she stood.

"Well we needed to make a scene." She let a smile slip through, and he stuffed his hands in his pockets.

"So I was thinking," his thumbs waggled, "that maybe you should buy me a drink. Make it up to me."

Lana's brow cocked, "I'm fairly certain I already gave you a drink."

Olivia's quiet chuckle made her keenly aware of how close she and Voight were. That they were hearing every word.

The way she had stayed, pressed and staring against Voight flared to mind, and she shoved it aside with a rush of embarrassment. She straightened her spine, and slipped her bag over her shoulder.

"So I think you actually owe me one." Her eyes didn't flicker to Voight as she said it, they stayed fixed and friendly on the officer in front of her.

He smiled, eyes lighting in a way that made her want to laugh.

Voight watched them walk out together, and Olivia nudged his arm.

"I thought you liked Officer Rodney."

"Yeah, he seems like a fine officer."

"Then why are you scowling at him like that?" Olivia's fingers rested on her forearm as she folded her arms.