seven

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧
the late night hunt

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧the late night hunt

ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ

     𝐍𝐎𝐖 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 they were both back within the safety of the palace, Isella was sent off to do some of other tasks for Nikolai. She updated the triumvirate on the cult situation and spent the rest of her day in the training room. Call it old habits but the one thing Isella hated most was the feeling of unease or nervousness. Her interaction with The Apparat had left her feeling weird and boarderline paranoid. So of course, time with a thick punching sack was much needed.

Isella dined in the special room beside Genya and David today, listening with one ear to Genya's plans for the arrival of their international guests as she thumbed through a summary of David's work with Kuwei Yul-Bo.

During the meal, the second army general had also joined them. Isella was still slightly intimidated by her powerful presence but after some deep  conversations, the scared feeling dialed down for her. Zoya had spent the day overseeing a new squadron of Squallers and sending orders to the outposts along the southern border. The general hoped the Grisha forces there would be able to guard against a possible Shu attack.

Three Grisha taken from Sikursk and eight more south of Caryeva, she was told.

At the dinner table, Isella was introduced to more new things by the minute— this time it was about the khergud soldiers. Shu soldiers fused with all sorts of powerful metals to hunt other grisha and well— be the perfects soldiers.

Isella had to admit, she was a perfectionist and an annoying overachiever but the perfection the Shu craved chilled her to the bone.

_______

After dinner she managed to read a new letter from her father and write one quickly back before going to the king's chambers to lock him in for the night.

Her visit however was a lot shorter this time because surprisingly— the king didn't have much to say tonight.

Isella found it a little odd but didn't want to question it any further.

He is a king. It makes perfect sense for him to be exhausted. But from what she saw and couldn't help notice— he was an awful lot more tired than yesterday.

Securing the last of the locks and saying her goodbyes, Isella finally allowed herself to turn in for the night.

She washed up and changed into a light nightdress before climbing into bed. Her white coat jacket was draped over a chair and the sword Nikolai had given her slumped against it. Isella was tired and parts of her body slightly ached but her brain would not allow her to sleep— something bothered her.