15. Restart

Musa was seven months pregnant. Her belly wasn't very big, but it looked awkward in Riven's eyes, considering how skinny she was. Musa hated it when he teased her but couldn't help smiling at the way she looked.

Life as a pregnant woman certainly wasn't easy: Harmony and Jayden mistook her bladder for a treadmill, always making her spend nights on the toilet; clothes... damn, she had to deal with shapeless stuff that was comfortable enough to allow her movements and cover her bump. Mood swings were the order of the day: Riven's worst nightmare had unfortunately come true! The young specialist, however, had to suppress his instincts to respond badly to her because he knew that Musa was acting that way because of her high hormones.

One December morning, Riven got up early as usual. Musa never found the right sleeping position at night with her big belly, but by now he was used to it. Also, it was not uncommon for him to go out and buy her ice cream, sweets, or whatever crazy thing she wanted. As he did every morning before breakfast, he checked his mailbox, finding, in addition to the bills and advertisements, a letter from his mother. Nymeria traveled often, and at least three times a month, she sent him letters, gifts, and postcards. Riven smiles every time he sees those letters... he shakes his head, he still had to get used to the idea of being a sorcerer and having his mother still alive.

As he reads his mother's letter and sips his coffee, he hears light footsteps from an adorable fairy. He smiles slyly as always.

"Good morning pixie."

"Good morning idiot" she says printing a spicy kiss on his lips.

"Muse don't provoke me...I've been abstinent for two months, if you do that you'll kill me" he laughs.

"Be thankful that until the fifth month we were able to make love, otherwise you'd been out of it since July" she laughs as she makes herself a cherry herbal tea.

Four tender little feet start kicking, throwing Musa off balance a bit.

"Good morning to you too, you little brats."

Riven laughs as he approaches and tenderly kisses the baby bump.

"You don't kick mommy..."

Harmony and Jayden seem to understand and calm down. Muse caresses her beloved's magenta hair, watching as he keeps his head resting against her bump. Riven used to do this every morning, giving little scratches to her bump and whispering loving words for her babies.

"I don't recognize you anymore, Riven..." she murmurs, smiling.

"You were enough to change my existence, pixie," he says getting up and hugging her. "I promise I will protect you forever, sorcerer or not, I will use all my strength to keep you safe."

Musa sinks her face into his wide chest, feeling safe. Their cuddling is interrupted, however, by Musa's cell phone ringing.

"Hello?"

"Musa, my child..."

" Da... Daddy?!"

"How are you, my angel?"

Musa feels a knot in her stomach. Her father hasn't looked for her since June, and now he comes back with his tail between his legs?!

"Why do you ask? You forgot about me for months now..."

"Musa, please listen to me... I'm coming to Magix today, I really need to talk to you and... and Riven."

"What is it? Do you have to attack us again?!"

"No, no my child... I..." Ho-Boé cries. Musa clearly feels that her father was crying.

"Alright daddy, let's meet at the usual place, for 11.30 a.m...."