Chapter 10: Pillows

The sun feels warm on Jake's back. The blanket covers his bottom half, and the pillows are soft and comfy against his head. Then, finally, his body begins to wake up. But someone lays over him and snuggles him so close.

Jake jolts awake. His eyes see a bedroom, messy but well kept. Sports Trophies and medals hang by the wall. He is not in his basement.

He feels his lips brush the back of his neck. "Good morning, handsome."

Mason.

Jake pushes himself enough so he can turn and see him. Mason wears a big smile on his face. Both are wearing their boxer briefs and only that.

"Don't worry, Jake, we only slept in the same bed. We won too many rounds of beer pong, and you, sir, can't handle your alcohol, lightweight." Mason chuckles at the memories.

Jake sighs in relief. He lays back down, and Mason puts his arms around him again.

"Everyone should know by now," Mason states.

"Know what?" Jake asks.

"You're my boyfriend. My phone hasn't stopped blowing up with messages from friends that heard about what happened at the party."

"Do you regret it?" Jake wonders if he's having second thoughts.

"No. I'm pretty happy about it. I'm finally happy to have the guy I had a crush on."

Butterflies are what Jake feels. "Damn, you should have made it known earlier in high school."

"Well, at the time, I was ashamed of myself for it."

Jake understands that feeling. "What inspires you to be out?"

Mason knows his answer. "You did."

"Me? How?" Jake asks playfully.

"You came out your sophomore year. That news spread around the school like wildfire. Eventually, it got me thinking about my life. I realized that I don't want to be remembered by my peers, the Mason, who is not true to himself."

Mason leans close, only a few inches away from kissing Jake.

"And seeing you wandering the halls with your friends, I began to imagine what it would be like to hold your hand as we go to A.P. English."

Jake pulls him into a kiss, but it turns into a make-out session.

Jake pulls away from Mason. "You better do that from now until you graduate."

Jake sees the alarm clock on Mason's nightstand. It's seven in the morning.

"I better go home." Jake pushes himself up and looks around to find his clothes but can't find them. "Where's my clothes?"

"Probably in the dryer now," Mason says with a light laugh. "Remember, you're a lightweight with your alcohol."

Jake blushes from embarrassment. "Oh, don't tell me I threw up all over myself."

"It's no worries. You did that outside in the trash can when we got here."

"Oh." After a moment, Jake asks him, "Is anyone else home?"

"Nah. Just myself. My mom is on a business trip and won't return until tonight." Mason launches himself up and tackles Jake back down to the bed. "Cuddle me. Stay. And kiss me."

Laughing, Jake kisses Mason on the lips.