Chapter 19: After

The trip to the airport was silent. Mason or Jake rarely said anything at all. They didn't want to end their time together, but they both knew the long distance was not the easiest. The day finally came for Jake to move to Alaska with his dad.

Mason plans to attend a university close to home; Jake plans to hear there once he finishes his senior year. Jake intends to maintain a low profile in his new high school. Not because he is scared, but because it's only going to be one year. He doesn't expect to be Mr. Popular but hopes to make a friend or two there.

"Almost there. Are you ready?" Mason asks Jake.

"I am." Jake replies, "It's a new start, and I get to reconnect with my dad. Plus, I have you waiting here for me for when I return to go to university."

"Yeah, I'll be here waiting for you." Mason reassures Jake but then asks, "Are you nervous?"

"About Alaska? No." Jake sees the entrance to the airport is fast approaching. "Are you nervous?"

"I'm all honest, I would love to see you stay here with me, but we got to do our own thing. So take care of what we need to take care of; soon, we will be back together." Mason says.

Jake does feel guilty about staying in a long-distance relationship, but it's what Mason wants. Jake remembers telling Mason about breaking up when he went to Alaska so Mason could experience university and adult life as a single bisexual man. But that made Mason angry.

Mason and Jake took a few days to be on good terms again. But Mason apologized to Jake and explained that he wanted him and for them to try to stay together.

Jake wondered if Mason wanted to be like his parents, high school sweethearts. It didn't bother Jake, but he promised he would do his best to stay with Mason. However, Jake didn't want to be like his divorced parents.

But the future is never set in stone, and life may have different plans for Jake and Mason. All Jake knows is that they will try to make everything work out for the best.

One thing he holds on tight is that he is significantly in love with Mason, and Mason is incredibly in love with Jake.

"It's interesting how things work out in the end," Jake says.

"What do you mean?" Mason wonders.

"I never thought that I would be boyfriend with you. And here we are, madly in love." Jake answers.

"Madly in love indeed." Mason grabs Jake's left hand and holds it tight with his right hand.

Once they get to the airport's departure entrance, they bring out the car and get Jake's two giant suitcases and carry-on out of the vehicle.

They stand face to face, looking into each other eyes. Mason closed the gap between them and kissed Jake goodbye. Jake does the same.

In a short moment, which felt like forever, the kiss ends.

"I'll see you later," Mason says.

"Yes," Jake agrees, "I'll see you later."

Mason returns to the car and waves to Jake as he heads inside the airport.

Jake looks at Mason and waves one last time at him before Mason takes off.

Now alone, Jake heads toward his destination.