Chapter 15: Bed

Mason lies beside Jake, with Jake's arm lying on his chest. With his eyes closed, Mason feels Jake's calm breaths and body heat. Unconscious of the time, they both feel the peace in the air -- pure zen.

No one makes a move, for it might shatter this pure moment of Jake's first time.

The footsteps from the upper floor are the only thing making noise, which indicates the arrival of Jake's strange mother.

"Does she ever checks on you?" Mason asks. "I don't want her to see something she's not supposed to."

"No," Jake says plainly.

"How is your relationship with your mother?"

"Non-existent; she stopped caring when I came out. She sent me to the basement so she will never see me again."

Mason turns his head to face Jake.

"I guess that's the only piece of evidence that she still has some type of love for me." Jake continues. "Not kicking me out to the streets, just the basement."

"I'm sorry to hear that," Mason replies with no other words.

"Don't be sorry. I like it this way. My mother and I had never been close, especially when my father left her. She became colder towards me. I looked too much like my dad." Jake slightly lifts his head to meet Mason's stare. "My dad left her for another man -- his true high school sweetheart."

After a moment of thinking about it, Mason finally speaks up. "Why don't you live with your dad and his partner?"

"I don't want to live in Alaska." Jake chuckles, "I like this town and my friends. But, I don't want to start my senior year in a different high school where I must re-come out to everyone. At least here, everyone knows I'm gay."

"You got the point there," Mason replies, but he leans forward and places a kiss on Jake's lips. "I'm glad you are who you are and not ashamed of it."

"I mean, if I had known that you would be in my bed with my boyfriend, I would have done it sooner."

A small giggle escapes Mason. "I'm not sure about that," Mason adjusts to look him straight in the eyes next to Jake. "Watching you be yourself finally gave me the courage to come out to my parents as bisexual. I was dating a girl then, so they had an interesting time comprehending my sexuality."

"Imagine when I have to meet them. Do you think your parents will have to adjust to seeing you with a guy?" Jake asks.

"I think so. But I know my parents will like you when they meet you."

"When they meet me?" Jake's somewhat scared look brings a chuckle out of Mason. "You're not serious about that, right?"

"I wasn't, but now thinking about it wouldn't be a bad idea since I want to take you to prom as my date." Mason inches his face closer to Jake's. "Would you like to go to prom with me?"

Jake, blushing red, couldn't contain his excitement. Closing the gap between their lips, Jake said yes with a kiss.

"Of course!" Jake says when they break apart. "I'm a terrible dancer, though; just a warning."

The time passed, and eventually, their stomachs growl, making them get up from bed and end their extraordinary time together. They got into Mason's car and went to the nearest burger place to regain the calories lost.

Jake was still wondering if it was all dream. But as the day went on, it became more natural for him to be with Mason and accept that he had lost his virginity today. 

Life feels good for Jake at that moment. Life felt just right.