Chapter 4: Surprise

It's been an hour since they arrived at Mason's place. Jake stares at the ceiling as Mason reads an article on the computer in his room.

"Can you believe there are people out there who want to interfere with people's lives?" Mason says out loud.

"What do you mean?"

"Like there are groups – religious groups, hateful groups – that deny the basic right to marry for two consenting adults of the same sex. I don't get why. Like what is their marriage doing that makes the anti-LGBTQ groups' lives miserable?"

Jake smiles to himself. "Well, when I go out to the adult world, that is what is waiting for me."

"Damn, man. I'm sorry." Mason clicks the mouse a few times and stops at a recent article.

"At the end of the day, I'm still going to live the way I want and grow old with the person I love." Jake's thoughts go to Thomas.

"Is there anything you wish you could do while you're still in high school?"

Jake sits up and looks at Mason, who is observing him. "What do you mean?"

"Like, don't you wish to have a boyfriend in school? Or go to homecoming or prom with a date of your choice?"

Jake thinks about it. While being out, he never thought of taking someone of the same sex to the school's dance or even considered having PDA like too many of his heterosexual peers.

"I think that would be nice," Jake responds.

"You'll have your chance." Mason tries to reassure him.

"If the person wants to be out and proud at this small-minded school and is a person I want to date, then sure, my chance will come," Jake responds sarcastically.

"So." Mason sits next to Jake to see his paperwork for his anti-LGBTQ argument for the debate. "How's being homophobic going?"

They share a laugh.

"I'm a terrible homophobe." Jake states. "Never knew being hateful to a community, without proper reason, is plain stupidity." Jake turns to Mason. "How's being gay going for you, Mr. Straight-Man?"

Mason meets Jake's eyes and locks into a stare. A connection runs through both.

"I don't believe I'm entirely straight as you think I am." Mason shares with Jake. "I have always had this feeling but never acted upon it. But I am not fully gay because I see both guys and girls the same way."

Mason surprises Jake, but Jake says nothing since Mason opens up to Jake about his sexuality.

"You don't have to define what you feel right now. But you need to understand those feelings." Jake says.

Mason leans forward but stops a few inches away from Jake. "Can I kiss you, Jake?"

Not able to say out loud an answer, Jake meets Mason halfway and seals the deal.

The kiss would be romantic and exciting, but all of Jake's thoughts went right to Thomas. The private moments of the two and no one else in the world.

But the time apart and Thomas being cold towards him just about broke Jake.

Mason is here, kissing Jake - well - making out now.

So far, it's nice.

But Jake knows himself. He wouldn't want to use Mason as a rebound, especially when it's Thomas's best friend.

Jake gently draws away from the kiss, noticing Mason chasing his lips for more but failing.

"I hope that helped," Jake says, looking at everything in the room except for Mason.

Silence.

Mason is smiling to himself, proud of the achievement. Jake has a hint of a smile, but in the back of his mind, he wonders if what he did was correct or not.

"My parents know I'm bisexual," Mason says.

Unsure why Mason would sure this, Jake finally looks at him, who's been admiring him for a moment.

"My parents know about me, but they deny my sexuality." Jake shares.

"I have always admired your bravery of being out and proud in school. I wish I dared to be like that."

"What's stopping you?"

Mason chuckles a bit. "I think it's all the stereotypes. I don't want to stop being me."

That statement loses Jake. "How would you lose yourself if you come out publicly?"

"I meant to say that I don't want people to stop seeing me as the Mason they all know." Mason continues to talk without thinking. "Just because I'm bisexual and maybe one day also say, 'Look, guys, I'm dating Jake.' I don't want people to see me weird."

Jake's eyes widen, and Mason catches on to what he just stated.

"I meant that I—" Mason tramples over his words and fails to backtrack.

"Mason." Jake stops his rambling. "Listen, I won't take it the wrong way, okay?"

Mason relaxes a bit.

"You were just saying that people would stereotype us dating - if we ever did," Jake says. "Cause I'm openly gay, and you'll be openly bi. People would assume of us together at some point." Jake is now just making excuses as to why Mason will say that.

"I don't want to even think about the rumors that'll spread about me," Mason says lightheartedly.

Jake knows the darkness that follows once you're out. "You know, it wasn't always easy to be openly gay at first."

"Bullies?"

Jake nods his head. "I won't lie to you, Mason, all that you fear may come true. But you would stay you."

"So, I should wait then," Mason asks.

"You should do whatever you feel like doing," Jake suggests. "Just be ready for the world around you to change, even if you are still the same Mason basketball superstar we all know and cheer for."

"Did people stop talking to you for being gay?"

"Hell yeah," Jake remembers all of them. "My parents kicked me to the basement. And my two best friends from middle school are not my friends anymore. Linda doesn't speak to me anymore, and Roger occasionally acknowledges me."

Mason begins to think about his circle of friends.

"Do you feel like some of you boys will abandon you?" Jake asks. "Like Thomas or Beau?"

"Thomas won't," Mason answers quickly. "I know he's closeted." Mason's expression fills with regret. "Oh shit. wait..."

Jake sighs a breath of relief.

Mason notices it. "You knew too?"

"I did," Jake confesses. "But he has been distant from me lately. Not sure if he is scared that I would blackmail or oust him. I will never do anything like that."

"He told me everything," Mason says without hesitation. "I know about you and Thomas."