When the Fires from Heaven burn, to whom will you turn?

________________________________________

                              How much are you willing to pay?

                            For a glimpse of the things to come

                         Be it a coming revelry or a doomsday

                          So that you will be saved from harm.

                       I did not ask for this gift that they bring

                     I did not wish for the future to be revealed

                 But if it were for me to save you from hurting

                    Then, in front of the misery, I shall kneel

            ________________________________________

The building looked just as abandoned as the year before. Clary looked at the unkempt surrounding, recalling that night when she and Jace snuck into the building to help Angel Ithuriel escape. The whole situation had been so surreal, and to see a real Angel shooting up to the sky was as amazing as she had thought it would be. However, now, under the bright afternoon sun, the building no longer looked ominous; it was just like any other buildings. Jace stood close beside her and as always, the presence of the blond Shadowhunter comforted her.

"Nothing changes," Jace remarked.

Clary just nodded her head. Ahead of her was Magnus, following close to Alec as if yesterday's incident had shaken the warlock so much that he could not let Alec wander too far from him. Clary remembered the way Magnus had surprisingly lifted the unconscious, six-foot Shadowhunter with such ease in a bridal style into his own master bedroom and gently put Alec on the bed. Magnus was adamant that they all waited until tomorrow to look at the building. For someone as intimidating as Magnus, it always amazed Clary to see just how gentle the warlock could be.

Clary wondered how two people could love each that much and just be friends. Even when Clary thought Jace was her brother, she could scarcely get her hands off him.

"I wonder why Alec receives the visions now?" Clary asked Jace. Isabelle had scouted a little bit further than all of them, just to see whether there was any danger. "When I received the runic visions, I understood it was because of Valentine's threat to the world. But now is the time of peace and I haven't been receiving anymore runic visions. I assume that those visions are taken away because the threat is eliminated."

"I don't know why, Clary." The frown on Jace's face seemed to take permanent residence ever since Alec was being attacked almost two weeks ago. "I also don't know why it is Alec who receives the visions. Why can't it be you or me?"

Clary hastened her steps to follow Alec and Magnus and Jace followed suit. "Maybe there's something about Alec that none of us has."

"What? His grumpy personality? His height?" Jace raised his eyebrows. Clary just rolled her eyes.

"Anyway, I think these visions are starting to take their toll on Alec," Jace confided unhappily. "The last time he received this vision he hadn't fainted. But yesterday, he had lost consciousness for some time. Magnus said that he was just tired and needed the rest, but I can't shake this feeling of dread."

"We'll just have to monitor him and support him in any way we can," Clary assured Jace. "That's all we can do at this moment, you know, until we find out all the needed facts."