Brace yourself for the ascension towards Heaven

__________________________________________

                     Take the life that you're so willingly sacrificed to me,

                          For I am the one who needs it more than others;

                       Give your heart that is so carelessly cared for to me,

                        For I am the keeper, the caretaker and the protector.

                        __________________________________________

"Do you feel any different, Alexander?" Magnus asked as they settled in for the night.

"Hm?" Alec asked as he slipped under the sheet. This was the first night Alec would spend in Magnus's loft after six months being apart. When Magnus asked if Alec would like to come back with him to his loft, Alec hesitated so briefly before agreeing. His fleeting reluctance was not because of Magnus but it was because of his fear that their time apart would make everything awkward. And apparently, it did because when they were readying themselves for bed, Alec had nervously waited for Magnus to finish whatever he was doing in the bathroom before he could get in. He had never cared about sharing the bathroom with Magnus before all this.

Six months of separation was quite a long time to cause the ease of familiarity between them to become rustic. Magnus kept on bumping on him and Alec kept on thinking he was invading Magnus's space. Alec kept on asking for permission and Magnus kept on asking if Alec was comfortable. They might have come together again, but the sense of security would take months to rebuild. Alec wondered whether his decision to come spending the night in Magnus's loft tonight was too soon.

"Different?" Alec tried again. "You mean about the Anima rune? I don't think so. But then, Jace just drew the rune yesterday, so, the effect could take some time, if there's any."

Magnus lie next to Alec, facing each other. There was a space between them; the lingering awkwardness that neither of them could admit nor dispel. Magnus was painfully aware of this and he didn't know how to approach this.

But then, Magnus knew that there was no way except to talk about this. So, taking a deep breath, Magnus said, "No, I'm not talking about the rune."

"Then, what?"

Magnus studied the man before him. The dim light of his room provided a romantic view of Alec as dark shadows accentuated his sharp cheekbones and full lips. His usual soft, hazel eyes were darkened into almost black. Alec wore a loose t-shirt and long cotton pants whereas before, Alec used to feel comfortable sleeping shirtless with him. Throughout the evening, he was careful in his movements as if there was an uncomfortable distance between them that Alec couldn't quite cross over and frankly, it was starting to scare Magnus.

Magnus slowly reached out his hand to gently caress the beckoning cheekbone. "I meant, with me. Do you feel any different with me now as compared to before we drifted apart?" He said softly.

"Before we-?" Alec halted and then, frowned. "I- I don't know what you mean."

The hand that caressed Alec's cheek, slid downwards softly to touch the hem of Alec's t-shirt neckline. Magnus kept his eyes steady on Alec's, willing the Shadowhunters to understand him. "You have never wore a t-shirt to our bed before."

Oh. Alec swallowed hard as he began to understand. He didn't think Magnus would notice, not this soon. Alec didn't know why it should come as a surprise. Magnus had always had this uncanny ability of seeing everything hidden in him even when the people closest to him didn't.