two

𝘀𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗼𝗻 𝗳𝗼𝘂𝗿, 𝗲𝗽𝗶𝘀𝗼𝗱𝗲 𝘁𝘄𝗼:in the bleak mind winter

in the bleak mind winter

EVERYTHING WAS QUIET AS MAGGIE stood in her bedroom, cigarette between her lips and drink in her hand. It was probably ten, but the Shelbys were mourning John's death and it was only fair for her to mourn the death of her childhood friend.

Margaret and John did enjoy each other's company, she even recalled having a tiny crush on him since Tommy was such a mean boy to her.

As they drove to Small Heath through the night, Margaret had the time to tell many tales to the kind little boy she held through the whole car ride. And, some of her tales would bring a smile onto Tommy's face as he remembered it when his mom would tell them to him.

Knocks interrupted her thoughts as she walked to the door, her glass still in hand, she was greeted by Thomas already dressed, "Go on, get dressed. We are going to say goodbye to John." He told her.

She went to close the door, but Tommy was fast to grab the glass of gin she held and drank it all, "What the fuck?" She exclaimed.

He shrugged, "Can't have you drunk to see the Shelbys again. You know how Pol is." He told her as she sighed loudly before slamming the door onto his face.

Maybe she did despise him, after all.

Margaret quickly got ready, brushing her hair and headed out. Her newly heels clicked on the floor as she joined Tommy. As soon as he saw her, he started walking to the engine.

"Are you leaving your boy alone?" Quizzed the woman as she sat down.

Thomas shook his head starting the car, "No. Someone is looking over him, always." He told her as she hummed.

The filthy air of Small Heath invaded her nose, and to be truthful she kind of missed the polluted air of the town. Margaret grew up in these streets, hid in those dark alleys which she now tended to stay away from. Thomas drove calmly through the town even though,  the woman could feel the heartache through the silence. There was silence, and silence — the kind of one who was loud and almost painful to stay in.

Margaret did hate Thomas, at least she thought so? But she knew how it felt like to lose a brother. Everyone knew how sacred family was to the Shelbys, they shared a bond like no other and despise their behaviors, some would envy them. Envy the Shelbys not for their fortune nor good sex but, for the family bond.

Her eyes ranked the building as she wondered what she was truly doing here. Keep company to Thomas? Protecting herself by following him? Saying goodbye to John? And strangely all of them felt so wrong. She felt she wasn't supposed to be here, like she didn't belong here.

"Arthur." Said Tommy as he saw his brother's back from the beginning of the corridor. The Eldest Shelby turned around to face his brother, his face showed surprise as he recognized a woman who was far from being family. "Aye, brother."