nineteen

𝘀𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗼𝗻 𝗳𝗶𝘃𝗲, 𝗲𝗽𝗶𝘀𝗼𝗱𝗲 𝘁𝘄𝗼:this life doesn't choose you

this life doesn't choose you.

BACK PAIN, TREMENDOUS NAUSEAS was nothing she hadn't experienced before, but she didn't want to experience them. . .  especially now. The time was crucial, and definitely wasn't a good time to be pregnant. Margaret and Tommy wanted kids again, Charlie was growing and so was Elliot—maybe they were just eager to have a full house with noise, and running children. Both didn't like silence, even though Thomas had grown quite attached to it after the War, and Maggie understood that. But there was nothing more enjoyable and warm than waking up to giggles, coos, and loud mama! daddy! around the house.

Margaret slipped out of bed, following the two voices of the little boys as she wandered through the house and reached the playroom. She warmly smiled at Mary, waving at her before kneeling to the ground next to Elliot and Charles.

"Hello, my boys." Sweetly muttered Maggie, cupping their faces and kissing their cheeks. "Had breakfast yet?"

Elliot vigorously nodded his head, "Yes. Mary made us some bacon and eggs."

Margaret gratefully smiled at Mary as she stood up, "Thank you, Mary. I know we don't say it enough."

The woman stopped her, "Please, it's my pleasure, Mrs.Shelby." She reassured with a smile. "Mr.Shelby told me he'd be back for lunchtime."

"Thank you." Repeated Margaret as the maid exited the room, leaving her with the two little boys.

A smile graced her features as she stared at the boys, sure Charlie wasn't entirely hers but it felt like it. Tommy had instantly approved of her as a kind of mother figure, and Charlie had loved her from the beginning. Then there was Elliot, he had blue eyes and brown hair, a mix between Thomas and her. Her hand instinctively moved to her stomach as she wondered if she was really pregnant, would it be a boy? A girl? Would Tommy be happy? Or too busy with his business to even care? Sure, she wanted to keep it, she just didn't want to raise it on her own.

"Mama, can we go see the horses?" Asked Charlie as Margaret nodded her head as she took their hands and led them outside.

The air was slightly colder than usual yet the sky was blue and no clouds seemed to be around the Arrow House, Charles and Elliot's laughs echoed through the staples as they ran to the horses. Maybe loving horses so much was a family thing, Thomas loved them, Margaret did too, and now the boys. Reaching the staples, she noticed Tom's horse was gone so she knew he was around and would come home sooner or later.

"They're pretty, aren't they?" Said Maggie as they reached a white one. "Say hi, Elliot."

The little boy mumbled a few words as someone cleared their throat behind them, Maggie turned around, her eyes falling on her husband as he stood next to his own horse. Elliot let go of his mother's hand and jogged to his father, Tommy knelt down taking him instantly in his arms. Charlie did the opposite of his brother, instead, he glued himself to Mag's side as if he was afraid of his own father. Margaret reckoned he was still somehow mad at Tom for all the bad things he'd hear at school or around the kitchen.