One ♥

“Alli, will you please get your snotty little best friend to pass me the remote?”

Pfft, like he still had to indirect it to me, how nice. I shifted my gaze from the television and to him, before feeling a little smirk of my own, surfacing. I lifted my head slowly, keeping my eyes locked with a pair of grey ones incredibly intensely. Very well, he’s back to playing this game. Very nice.

But I just hope he knows I’m probably more competitive than he is so he better watch himself. Especially now that I’ve grown to become more steady with how I could keep my emotions in to only myself (and Alli if she decides to really contemplate me―but not that she couldn’t already tell with her amazing instincts) and cooperate with that layer of mask above the weak me in the period that I couldn’t stop crying.

But, past is past. Moving on to the present and future.

I could feel the nerves in my arms tightening as my fingers instinctively wrapped themselves around the remote control. Remember the very first time this happened, but only that we were the younger ones? Oh, yes. That isn’t happening again, and I’m assuring you, all right.

He raised his eyebrows and grounded his teeth while (I’m pretty damn sure he was) observing my every move and me. Wise grasshopper. I didn’t want to give Alli a hard time because I can tell she was tired with our childish attitudes towards one another like how it was a year ago. Plus, she hadn’t stopped giving out sighs to the atmosphere so, you know, I could just assume.

Which I just did.

Crossing my arms, I clasped onto it tighter beneath my arm so that even if Alli could reach me (she doesn’t even seem like she’s going to do what her brother says, anyway) all the way from my right side, she’d have no chance of taking it back. For your information, not giving her a hard time didn’t mean really passing that jerk seated two sofa seats away from me.

That would just mean I’m giving in and do I really give in to idiots like him? Oh, hell no. That would just make me equally as big of an idiot as he is. No way.

“Alli,” no, I definitely am not going to indirect back to him. That’s too immature. “You should probably leave this place or move to the other couch there in case I decide to turn things physical. Don’t want my best friend to be bruised, now would I?”

“Obviously you would,” Cody interjected before Alli could even turn to me and reply, “because you’re such a self-conceited, one of those damn bi―”

“Okay! Jesus Christ, stop,” Alli edgily interrupted, moving herself to my other side almost instantly, where she grabbed the remote control away from me and switched channels. I don’t blame her; she’s pissed. I’d be raging if I were in her position now, truth be told.

Smiling in triumph that Cody was flaring, I shot him another smirk, one after another. I just can’t stop smirking nowadays, you know? His fury is my pleasure. Love, love, love. I turned my body, fully, towards him and lifted my shoulders before dropping them, putting on an innocent smile. “Because I’m a self-conceited, one of those damn bitches?”

Wow, surprisingly, I ain’t even mad. Neither am I sad or hurt or whatever. I feel just fine, in fact―neutral. As neutral as it gets. Something like guilt flashed across his eyes but like hell was I going to acknowledge that. Months ago I made us start our relationship over so before everything else began, this has to happen.

And I like it; I missed this very much.

“I know,” I ran my tongue across my lips to dampen them, “I’d like to consider myself one of the biggest bitch in the universe.” My heart wasn’t squirming, which only meant I wasn’t lying. I smiled. If he were to address me a bitch this time of last year, I’d be sobbing because although I’m feisty and all, I still haven’t mastered how to control my feelings, oh.