Chapter 10: Surprise

We had a normal practice on Tuesday. It was kinda funny, after all the hard work on Saturday, that we were just back to normal by Tuesday.
I was soooo sore after Saturday. I had jumped all day, and when I woke up on Sunday I couldn't get out of bed. My ankles and my knees and my calves hurt. I was still a little sore, three days later.
It was nice to have just a normal practice on Tuesday. Usually we had workouts or something to do at practice, but today Coach Melissa said that we could just take it easy.
A lot of people weren't at practice today, including Rosie, so I hung out with Leia. I guess they were all too tired from Saturday.
I was enjoying this easygoing practice. We didn't have another filming session till next week, but it would be less of a hassle than the first one.
I was surprised to see Ms. Menville walk through the door. What was she doing here? "Hi!" Coach Melissa said, and Leia and I couldn't help but eavesdrop.
"I was thinking," Ms. Menville said, "That you have such a wonderful and positive environment here on your jump rope team. Would it be possible for my niece and her friend to join the team?"
My jaw dropped in shock. There was a whole process to getting on the team! You have to get your double unders and try out and a bunch of other stuff. You couldn't just walk on.
"That would be wonderful." replied Coach Melissa. "But-" I butted in, but Coach Melissa put her hand over my mouth and pulled me and Leia aside. "Surprise!" she said. "We have 2 new jumpers on the team!" "But we can't just let them on the team, right?" Leia asked. I was glad I wasn't the only one who felt this way. "We can for our director's girls," Coach Melissa continued. "I have to let them on in order to keep the show. And you'll like them, I'm sure." Then Coach Melissa walked back to Ms. Menville.
"That's not fair!" I said. "I worked so hard for three years trying to get my double unders in order to join this team, and they get to just walk on because they're rich?" "I know," Leia said, "They'll be nothing but trouble and more work." "I'm not even used to Jake yet," I whined. "Ya," Leia said, "and Jake is one thing. Two rich spoiled Hollywood little girls is another."