Chapter 18: Sometimes you need Hope

I decided to bring Hope back to practice.
She had had fun when I brought her before Christmas break, and I was still frustrated with Rosie, so I brought her back.
Hope hung out with me and Emmie most of the night. We started with double dutch. I was happy that we skipped pairs double dutch, because that would have been a nightmare.
Jenny wasn't at practice that day, so Hope did double dutch with me and
Emmie. Hope liked Emmie a lot. They got along really well, and they were becoming friends. Emmie is sometimes shy, but she's good friends with me and she's never shy around me. We taught Hope a bunch of tricks to do, and she learned them all. When it was time to show in front of the team our routine that we had been working on, we did it really well.
Then Coach Melissa said it was time to do pairs. I seriously didn't want to work on my pairs routine with McKenzie, so I told her that I was teaching someone how to jump rope and that I'd be there in a minute. Then I walked away and started the begging of a pairs routine with Hope. I knew that it was mean, but the guilt wasn't nearly as bad as the frustration I usually felt during pairs.
It was kinda hard to make up a pairs routine with Hope because she doesn't understand jump rope talk, but it was fine. And we had fun goofing around.
Then it was time to move on to singles. My singles is great. I mean, I'm sure it's not nearly as good as I say it is, but I like to brag. And it is really good.
Hope made up a routine. I helped her. We used the tricks that she already knew and I taught her some knew tricks to add to her routine. She was trying to get a double under. Double unders are hard to teach, because there's not a lot of advice you can give. Jump high and turn fast is about all I know. I'm really good at double unders, but teaching them is hard. Harder than doing them. I like to teach, but it's hard to come up with the right words.
Hmm. What to do what to do. I didn't know how to explain, but I really wanted Hope to get a double under. I needed patience. Patience. It was what I needed in my routine with McKenzie, too. Patience would prevent me from getting frustrated. I thought about Rosie, and how she was always patient with me in our old pairs. Then I remembered something. More like someone. "I'll be right back," I told Hope. I ran across the room. "Hey, Jake," I said. "Can you do me a favor? You're good at double unders right?" "Sure I can help you," he replied. He seemed happy to help. "And yes I am good at double unders."
I brought Jake over to Hope. "Can you teach her how to do a double under? She's so close. I just don't have the right words on how to explain it." "Let me see," he said.
Within ten minutes, Hope could do a perfect double under no problem! "Thank you thank you thank you!!!" I said to Jake and hugged him. "You're welcome," he replied. "Good job Hope!" I said. I was really proud of her.
Right before we left practice, Hope said to me, "Julie, I know Rosie's here. I know you don't want to introduce me to her. You're in a fight or something. That's probably why you want me here. But listen, I think you should just apologize. Even if she was the one who did something wrong. Talk to her. You don't even know her side of the story yet. And you want to be friends with each other again. You can't just try to avoid each other. You're teammates. You don't have to be best friends, but you should get along. She needs you. You need her. You've told me so many good things about her. This friendship was important to you, and is this how you want it to end?"
I thought about Hope's words. She was right. I should apologize to Rosie. All I could do is hope for the best.
Sometimes, you need Hope.