Chapter 20: Birthday!

Two weeks later, I was sitting at the table at my house with my birthday cake in front of me. I was finally 11!!! And so happy to have my friends surrounding me.
Sitting around me at the table was my brother Matt, my sisters Addy and Katie, Hope, some of my other friends from school named Sophie, Olivia and Maggie, my cousins Meghan and Maddie who where visiting from Oregon, and Rosie.
The last few months had been hectic. I had become famous. I had gotten into a fight. I had gotten into a bike accident. And I had learned a very important lesson.
They say to shoot for the stars. But you don't need to just shoot for the stars. You need to stand up for the team. Hmm. I like that. Shoot for team. Maybe that should be my new motto. Before I was the baby. A little star who had been the center of attention. But now I was more than that. I was no longer the youngest on the team. And that didn't bother me. McKenzie, Lilah and Jake were my friends. Friends who I could teach. I was a leader. Now I had patience.
Before I had wondered what the point of jump rope was if you weren't competing. Now I knew. Jump rope isn't just a competitive sport. It's a team sport. A team effort. A group effort. The key to jump rope is teamwork.
Rosie and I were still friends. I knew that we would never be as close as we were. We had been through too much. But we were friends who needed each other. She helped me be nicer and more aware of what I was saying. I helped her to be more outgoing and less shy.
And now I was a year older. If someone was supposed to describe me in two words, I hope that they'd say that I'm a good teammate.
As I blew out my candles, my only wish was that I would have many, many more years on an awesome jump rope team with awesome friends.
Later that day, I opened up my present from my parents and what did I find? New jump rope shoes!!!! I guess that dreams really do come true.

Thank you everyone for reading my book! Read the next one, Take one for the team. It'll be out in a couple of days, and it continues with Julie and all your favorite characters. Thanks!!!
julie_anna21