Chapter 10: Nightmares

"Monsters are real, and ghosts are real, too. They live inside us. And sometimes they win." ~ Stephen King

**
I woke up to the sound of screaming and yelling again.

When will it end?

"Please stop I'm sorry" I hear my mother beg.

"Shut the fuck up" he slurred. Great. He's drunk again. Wouldn't be a surprise or the first time. In fact this is like the 3 time today.

I heard a slap and it sounded brutal. I got up from bed and ran downstairs.
"Stop!" I yelled at him.

My mom nose was bleeding and there was a bruise already forming on the side of her face.

"Mykia go up stairs honey." She said gently.

"No. I'm not letting you get beat. Not again." I cried out.

He turned around the look in his eyes was filled with evil. If anyone saw him they would think he's a homeless drunk. "Look what the cat dragged in." the man laughed.

He grabbed me and pulled me into the nearest room locking the door. I could hear my mother banging on the door screaming for him to let me out. I cried when he hit me.

"Always trying to play hero." he cooed stroking my hair. I cringed. He unbuckled his pants and I prepared for the worst. It's not like this was the first time but every time it seems to get worst.

"Ready. 1, 2, 3." I cried as he entered.

**

I woke up drenched in sweat and panting for air. It was another nightmare. Why can't I just forget everything? I never like to think back or remember those torturous days.

Getting up I walked to the kitchen to pour myself a glass of water. After drinking my water I called my mom.

"Hello?" She said sounding sleepy. Well it is 4:28a.m.

"Hey mom." My voice was a little hoarse from crying so I cleared my throat.

"It's like 5 in the morning. What do you want? Are you okay?" She said sounding more concerned.

"Actually it's 4:28 to be exact. Well 4:29 now." I tried to lighting the mood. However, my mother being her knew what I was doing.

"Cut the shit. Is everything fine?" She asked again.

"I had another nightmare. It just came back I thought you said it would be over by now." I said trying to hold back tears.

My mother is the only one I can talk too because she's also the only one who knows the truth.

My mother sighed probably exhausted and upset. "I'll be there later in the morning try not to do anything or go anywhere. I love you."

"I love you too. Be safe." I said before hanging up.

I climbed back into bed and fell asleep again.

**

Knock. Knock. Knock.

Dammit. Who's knocking on my door?
I got up and went to open the door.

"Eh. You look hideous." My sweet beloved mother said. How generous.

"Thanks." I replied dryly and let her in. "So what's on the agenda today Dr. Whitley."

She's not really a doctor but after all she helps me go through I like calling her that.