Chapter Sixty-two

Mr. Banks? What is he doing here? Clara wondered.

"I heard Lady Bentley has returned to us and I was hoping to see for myself," Mr. Banks said, craning his neck to see inside the room to catch a glimpse of what exactly remained to be determined.

"Lady Bentley has not been properly introduced into society. I'm uncertain it would be prudent to..."

"Nonsense, Mr. Brummell. She and I are already acquainted from years ago. I was introduced to her by her aunt. You could say, Lady Bentley and I are old friends."

"I could but I wouldn't dare be so bold without the Lady's consent." Mr. Brummell looked back at Clara, who shrugged in response, but Benjamin gave a definitive nod. So, Mr. Brummell let him in.

Clara wished she did not have to endure this intrusion, as she dearly wished to know what Benjamin had to tell her. Now she would have to wait and who knows when such an opportunity would present itself again.

"Ah, Lady Bentley. My, how you've grown. Such a beautiful girl has become such an elegant woman. I'm so glad you have returned."

"Are you?" Clara said with a quizzical lift of her brow. "And why, pray tell, might that be Mr. Banks?"

"You wound me, Lady Bentley. As you had when you ran off to the nunnery. I had hoped to further our acquaintance, surely you were aware of my intentions towards you."

"Yes, such intentions would have caused a scandal had I had left them unchecked. Thankfully, though that was avoided."

"Scandal?" Mr. Banks covered his heart with his hand. "My Lady, you injure me to my core. My intentions were quite noble. In fact, I dare say, you broke my heart all those years ago, running off as you had."

"From the looks of things, it appears you've made a brilliant recovery. None the worse for wear. So, thank you for dropping by but I'm certain it is almost time for the Opera to commence and I do not wish to miss a single second."

"Of course." Mr. Banks picked up Clara's hand and brought it to his lips.

Clara had seen Benjamin rise with murder in his eyes. She quickly rose from her seat to lead Mr. Banks to the door. "It was nice of you to drop by. Perhaps after the Queen's Ball, we might talk some more."

Mr. Brummell opened the door to let Mr. Banks out.

"After the Queen's Ball, but surely there is no need to wait...?"

"Ah, but there is, as until I am properly introduced the Queen wishes me not to engage in parties, dinners, and the like."

"What about a carriage ride?"

Mr. Brummell stood guard at Clara's back. "After the ball, Mr. Banks. You would not have Lady Bentley defy her Majesty and risk her reputation. Especially for a turn about the park?"

"No, of course not. I wouldn't dream of... I just thought," Mr. Banks fumbled as he watched Clara walk away from him. Away from him and straight back to Mr. McAllister who was looking rather smug. So smug Mr. Banks wished he could give him a good thrashing.

"After the ball," Mr. Brummell reiterated.

"But then why is he allowed in her presence?" Mr. Banks demanded to know.

"Mr. McAllister brought Lady Bentley back from India as a liaison to the Queen they are already intimately acquainted. As her guardian, I saw no harm as the Queen is aware of their familiarity and therefore would not be concerned by it."

"But Lady Bentley could vouch for me herself if she saw fit," Mr. Banks complained.

"After the ball," Mr. Brummell said again. "I'm afraid as her guardian I must insist."