Chapter Fifty-four

Benjamin reached above board to find the crew preparing for a fight.

"Ready the guns! Full canvas!" Shouted Captain McCullen from the helm as he tried to gain more speed to put as much distance as he could between him and the ship behind him.

"What is it? What's happening?" Benjamin asked upon reaching McCullen's side.

"Not certain as of yet but the ship behind us coming up at a rather threatening speed. I thought it best to be prepared. Clara? Is she safe?"

"She is still in your chambers, should I advise her to move below?"

"No, I pray they are friendly and perhaps have a message to deliver but if the fighting gets started. Clara is your number one priority. No matter what happens here be certain you both get to safety, even if it means abandoning this ship."

"You don't think they mean to board?"

"I don't know what they mean to do. So, it is best to be prepared."

The ship was getting closer. Benjamin watched its progress through the spyglass. Something seemed familiar about this ship but he couldn't put a finger on it. Then he'd seen the flag, hoisted, waving wildly in the air.

"She is British!" Benjamin shouted and Andrew took the wheel as the Captain took a look at the ship himself.

"We take nothing for granted boys! HOLD STEADY!"

The relay of the message was brought to the gunners by route of the powder monkeys. Like a well-oiled machine, the guns were prepped and readied. They were just waiting for the signal.

"But the ship is British!" Benjamin argued. "It is one of our own."

"Or was one of our own," McCullen said instructing as he walked along making certain the muskets and pistols were ready and his men fully armed.

"Why do you doubt what you can clearly see?"

McCullen whirled on Benjamin, "Because I have seen what happens when you believe with your eyes. That ship may have been one of the Line now taken over and is filled with pirates ready to tear my ship apart, or the French who won it in a battle and are interested in where my loyalties lie. I can't guarantee a moment of negotiation will take part. So, take heed and be ready."

Benjamin nodded and prepared for battle arming himself with pistols, daggers, and swords.

The ship closed in further still, McCullen's ship lighter and faster kept itself just out of reach, but not far enough away that they couldn't fire upon him. The ominous sound of a cannon fire whistled past the stern of the ship as pursuer maneuvered themselves abeam.

"We must not allow them to come abreast with us? Get this ship moving."

"Aye, Captain," Andrew steered the ship just out of reach but their movements were hindered by the wind or the lack thereof. Still, Andrew managed.

"Well done," Captain McCullen approved.

"They are hailing us, Captain!" said the man from the crow's nest.

"What is their message?" The Captain hollered back, a few moments later he got his answer.

"Hand over the traitor and we will not open fire," the sailor reported.

"Traitor? What the devil are they talking about?" Captain McCullen looked concerned, as he knew an answer would need to be provided and soon. Any hesitation on his part could bring them to war.

Fear gripped Benjamin's heart he grabbed the spyglass from McCullen and rushed to get a better view of the ship. His suspicions were confirmed when he took note of the warship's name, VOYAGER in gleaming gold, freshly painted. "Lieutenant Airey!" Benjamin cursed.