ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔗𝔢𝔫

📍 Camelot

📍 Camelot

January, 504 AD

Gaius started to throw orders left and right as soon as we got to the apartment, "Arthur, lay him on the bed. He is struggling to breathe! Gwen, fetch me some water! And, Astra, a towel!" In the meantime, he gathered some stuff from the shelves.

With a dazed mind, I glanced around the room for a few seconds until I finally spotted a white piece of cloth laying atop a kitchen counter. I stumbled towards it and struggled to grab it, given that my hands were still trembling badly, but I managed it and hurried to give it to the physician.

Getting no further commands, I hopped to sit on the work table and I pulled my knees to my chest while I took deep breaths in an attempt to calm my strained lungs.

"Is he going to be all right?" the Prince asked as he nervously nibbled on his thumbnail while he watched Gaius work with a lost expression.

Gwen pulled a chair next to Merlin and she pressed the now dampened towel to his forehead while the physician examined him.

"He is burning up," the physician commented in a grave tone as he touched the young sorcerer's cheek.

"You can cure him, can you not, Gaius?" Gwen asked the elderly man, her voice barely above a whisper.

"I will not know until I can identify the poison," he responded before turning to me, "Pass me the goblet."

I frowned and looked around, soon finding that said object was placed next to me on the table. I quickly grabbed it and handed it over.

Gaius moved towards a desk and he grabbed a magnifying glass before moving to examine the silver cup for a few moments, turning it over in his hands. His eyes widened as he looked inside of it. "Ah. There is something stuck on the inside," he noted.

I jumped off the table and moved to grab some tweezers from a drawer, which I promptly passed on to the physician. He nodded in thanks and reached inside the goblet, pulling out a small yellow thing.

"What is it?" Arthur asked as he stepped closer to Gaius.

"It looks like a flower petal of some kind," the elderly man replied, squinting his eyes as he analysed it. I moved closer in curiosity.

"His brow is on fire," Gwen informed the physician.

"Keep him cool," he instructed her, "it will help control his fever." She nodded and returned her attention to Merlin.

I tilted my head as I watched Gaius move towards the book stands. He pulled out a huge book on botany and he brought it over to the desk, setting it down before he started skimming through it. I stood next to him and eyed the book as he flipped the pages, figuring that two pairs of eyes are better than one.