Chapter One

Cleo

I don't remember much of what happened. I was only five when the other shifters tried to wipe out our kind.

My brother, Caleb, somehow hid us during the massacre. Keeping us safe until we could make a run for the witches hut in our territory, or what used to be our territory.

They helped us. Making sure we got some food in our bellies and a roof over our heads while we slept.

It didn't last long. Only a week or so.

Caleb wanted to go, worried if they were caught there, the witches would pay the price for sheltering the young foxes. He didn't want that to happen and neither did I.

So we packed up the few supplies the witches gave us, ready to leave.

The witches had one last gift for us. A spell, that hides our foxes from the rest of the shifter world. The only way to break it, the mark of our mate.

With that the witches sent us off with a warning. 'Eventually your foxes will be discovered, hopefully your mates will be there to protect you, but don't fall into old patterns. You two were saved for a reason. Do not follow in your fathers footsteps.'

With that said we left. We travelled around all the shifter kingdoms. Never staying anywhere long.

Everyday Caleb forced me to train. "Even if you can't shift into River, you can at least defend your human body."

He was right of course, like all big brothers are so often, my hard work payed off and soon I was easily able to take him down on my own.

To other shifters we seemed human. Even witches and warlocks couldn't sense the animal inside us.

In the spots where only creatures could enter we'd use our tricks to seem like magic. Passing off as a witch and warlock.

We tried to manipulate as few people as possible. Only doing it for safety, not shits and giggles.

"Hey, your falling behind." Caleb calls back to me, stirring me out of my thoughts. I run to catch up to my brother.

We're walking through a city in the wolf kingdom, trying to get to the ocean waters. If we get there on time a mermaid might help us get to the other kingdom.

"Ya, ya, I'm coming." I grumble as I hurry to fall back into step beside him.

"I know your tired, just a little further and we're out of the city. We'll find somewhere nice to sleep." Caleb tells me.

I nod my head, Caleb had a knack for finding perfect spots to sleep.

"Hey there pretty girl." A raspy voice comes from out of nowhere, startling Caleb and I. We search the shadows for the source of the voice.

A man steps out from the wall of the club we're walking by, called Fantasies. The shadows no longer hiding him.

I can smell sex, drugs, booze, and wolf oozing off him.

I scrunch my nose up, disliking the scent immediately.

He's body and face are no better. Fat rolls hang out from under his shirt, which is covered in old and new food stains.