Learn: Overcoming Writer's Block

I had something but then I... shoot what was I going to write? Why is this so hard? Why can't I start even if I know what I'm supposed to write?

We're taking a pause here in the middle of all these useful writing guides because this is probably the point where you're starting to get stuck. If you made the leap from planning to writing (the other place writers get stuck), the jump from beginning to middle is your next potential pitfall. Then there's finishing the story which is a whole another issue.

How you tackle these issues is unique to each writer and their personality. As a general rule, none of us do well under pressure or when multitasking too many things, so you typically won't solve the problems through force of will or strict deadlines.

Usually, the issues in writer's block come from motivation or creativity.

Motivation is when you're just out of energy to write, or don't feel that momentum anymore. It happens to everyone. With creativity, you'll feel mentally drained and unable to come up with what should happen next. It also happens to everyone in all walks of life.

Here are some possible solutions and what they aim to solve. Just know why you're trying to do that thing and what problem it's solving (strict deadlines, for example, tend not to motivate or make you feel creative)

<<>>

Shifting Gears - Solves for: motivation.

When you start feeling tired of writing, do something that is generally different from it, like play a videogame, draw, bake, knit, or the thing that probably started your writing, read. The best time to do this is not when you feel blocked, but a little before that, when you're still in the groove or flow but you're starting to feel it fade.

Rather than exhaust yourself to zero before recharging, quit early, change focus, and then return. It's easier to top-up your mental exhaustion rather than refill it entirely.

<<>>

Switch to Non-Fiction - Solves for: creativity.

A lot of writing kicks off in high school and university, not just because you start getting into more serious literature, but also because you're generally just learning about a lot of interesting things. Most stories include or are based on a factoid. Or, as you're watching a documentary, you might be struck by an odd thought: what if we hadn't discovered fire though? Or any sorts of strange questions.

These moments of learning about something can be very inspirational and they don't have to be related to your subject matter at all.

<<>>

Take a Walk - Solves for: creativity.

Generally, creativity shortages get solved by giving your brain a break and a chance to wander. While you're walking (or running), what else do you have to think about? It isn't always counting steps, upcoming turns, or the next song on your playlist. This is also a chance to get some unique observations. Similar activities include meditation, taking a relaxing bath, or gardening.

<<>>

Re-reading - Solves for: motivation, sometimes creativity.

One of the most common techniques is to go back through your story and read it up to wherever you are. Don't focus on editing now, though you clean up obvious things that stand out. Mostly you're just reconnecting with your own work.

By the time you get back to where you last left it, you'd be excited about the plot. You'd want to see where it goes from here. In some cases while doing this, it can also recharge creativity. If you think of new things or directions while reading, or if you pick up on some foreshadowing or possible hints you left earlier.

<<>>

Small Goals/Celebrations - Solves for: motivation.

It's really important to aim small when you're writing and to build that into something big. Don't plan a sequel when you haven't finished (or even written) the first novel. You might be an entirely different person by the time you finish, or your characters would've developed in different ways. This would only hold you back right now.

More importantly, big, expansive goals weigh very heavily on you. You should remember to celebrate what you've achieved as you go along. View it not as how much work you still have left, but how much you've done along the way. Just 500 words. Just write another chapter. You'd find tackling larger stories chapter by chapter to be particularly helpful.

Focus only on that chapter and what will be in it and solve it like a miniature novel. Then take a moment to be proud before you hit publish. This also helps with finishing a lot, as you get so used to finishing these smaller goals that you don't even notice when the big one finally arrives.

<<>>

Writer Discussions - Solves for: creativity.

Go and talk to other people who also write. Don't talk to them about how you're blocked (they will tell you they are also blocked or tell you how great it's going which makes you feel worse), but just talk to them about ideas. Talk about interesting plotlines. Things you hate or love to see. Kill time with people who are also engaged in creative storytelling because inevitably it will be a creative discussion. There's also lots of games and exercises that can be done in a group to help you be creative together and have some fun.

<<>>

The other big piece of writer's block, or difficulties in writing, tends to come when you start to fight yourself.

Most common are the doubts around whether you're really even a writer or if anything you're writing is good. While we could say things like "who cares if you're good, write for you!" or "nobody is a writer until they are!" and those things would be true, they're not nearly as helpful as knowing every single writer goes through this.

There has never been a panel, a discussion group, an autobiography or a lecture where a writer didn't admit to have experienced some personal doubts about their writing ability or if their story was worth it.

We all go through that. And for most of us, it's not a one-time thing. In the fancy words of fantasy:

Doubt is like a phoenix. You watch it burn to the ground then rise from its ashes.

So rather regularly, it will find a way to creep back up. Sure, your last story was a success, but were you just a one hit wonder? Do people actually like your new story or is this just popularity from your other story?

You'll carry these sorts of doubts with you at all times throughout writing. They hit you when you start, when you finish, and everywhere in between. The way to tackle them is to talk about them, with yourself and with others. Come to understand yourself and lean into how you feel because it's perfectly normal, and then come and share in collective self-doubt with everyone. We're all struggling in our own ways and we'll always wonder what 'good enough' means.

<< Let's discuss >>

Share some tricks to overcome writer's block that have worked for you before.

Feel free to have a creative discussion with other writers in the comment section!