Learn: Building a Brand

In the last chapter we talked about how to get followers and engage with them on Wattpad. This week we turn and look at engagement in the light of your brand as an author, both on and off Wattpad. 

Remember, gaining a following isn't about promoting your book. It's about being social and creating content that's relevant/useful to your audience. Think of your brand as a promise; it's what readers expect from you as an author. For example, let's think about a few popular brands. When you think about Harlequin, you know you're getting a romance novel. When you think about HBO, you know you're getting well written shows. When you think about Suzanne Collins, you know you're getting dystopian teen fiction.

Having a professional author brand will help establish you on the platform. Did you know that the number one reason someone reads a book is that they recognize the author's name? That means as an author, it is absolutely critical to market yourself.

Having a strong author brand will also help open other doors for you. Whether it's getting an agent, or a book deal, how you present yourself says a lot. One way of thinking strategically about your platform is to have a sense of who your ideal reader is, in much the same way as a business would envision an ideal customer, and to write with this figure in mind. Let's go through some of the key elements to cultivating your brand.

<< Biography >>

The publishing landscape is crowded. What sets you apart from the rest of the authors on Wattpad? 

A well-crafted bio can help readers learn more about what makes you and your books so interesting. The idea is to establish your credibility as a writer - so if you've won awards, or ranked high in your genre, say so. Try not to make it too long, and also try to make it personal enough that your readers can connect with you. 

Are you using special characters within your bio, story, title, or description? Remove them if you can! Not only are they harder to read, but it is also a general best practice to avoid using special fonts they are often ignored by search engines.

<< Keep it professional >>

If you are trying to expand your brand beyond Wattpad this is especially important. A writer with the username SugerlipsXxX0o0 is not as likely to be taken seriously. It's also difficult to remember. Instead consider using a real name, and if you want to keep your identity private, consider using a pen name. 

Pen names are designed to be catchy, memorable and suited to the genre you write in. For example, Vincent Von Doom is memorable, but would NOT suit a small town romance writer. Also consider using a professional profile image, an animated avatar or commission an artist rendition! Either way, it helps establish you as a person people can identify with.

<< Consistency is key >>

The best way to create and maintain a writer platform and following is to be consistent. The best practice is to mirror your Wattpad, Instagram, and Twitter profile photo or vice versa. Reusing your images will help you in creating a consistent and recognizable brand for yourself as a public figure. Post consistently on your accounts, but don't overwhelm your followers with content about your book. Switch it up every now and then!

<< Social Media >>

Social media is a common medium to use, with many authors maintaining Twitter and Instagram accounts, among others. A website or some sort of "home base" online is also a great way to provide a central location for potential readers to learn about you and your writing.

It can be easy to become overwhelmed by the feeling that you need to be everywhere at once, but it's important not to stretch yourself too thin. Instead, prioritize a couple of platforms and choose those that excite and interest you. It's better to consistently appear in a few locations than to sporadically post everywhere. Here a few tips for the most popular platforms:

Twitter: A good general rule for Twitter is to use it as a megaphone. Twitter is best used for connecting with people and engaging in trends and conversations. It is also an excellent way to reach new people through existing conversations and trends (hashtags!). Remember that your tweets don't all have to be about your book. Continue using Twitter similarly to how you use Facebook or Instagram—sharing personal anecdotes organically alongside information about your writing experience and publishing events. This is the best way to build relationships online.

Facebook: Make sure you make a separate author page aside from your personal profile. An excellent start as far as content goes on Facebook is sharing story/book announcements, media hits, opinions, and interviews.

Instagram: There are many ways you can use Instagram to promote your stories. First we recommend you follow popular bookstagrammers who review books, and also use it to connect with fellow authors. It's also a great way to connect with fans/readers and give them an inside look at your life. Be sure to also post to Instagram stories, as it's a great tool that you can use to bring you to life! It's also a fun way to update your followers on any news and updates on your writing. It's also helpful if you share other author's stories, as they might reciprocate.

<<>>

That covers the core elements of branding. 

A few final helpful tips are to advertise your other books in your author's note at the end of your book. Traditionally published authors do this all the time. From a reader perspective, you finish a book and you want to know what else the author has written. Make it easy for the reader to consume more of your content! 

Don't forget what you're building your brand around. Having a solid catalogue of work that speaks to your brand is a way to back the image you're building.