Chapter 15: Dick and the High Speed Train

Dick is a large American Diesel Engine, who often pulls passenger trains. He enjoys being the fastest diesel on the island. He goes down at a full 128 mph, although his sometimes tries to beat Mallard's new record of 132 mph to no avail.

One day, Dick was waiting with the express. He was taking holiday makers to Beach View, when suddenly, a yellow streak came rushing through! Dick was amazed! "What was that!?!" he asked.

At the next station, he saw James, and asked, "James, did you see a yellow streak go by earlier?" "You mean Pip and Emma," said James, "they're high speed diesel engines. They are put at each end of the train, so they don't have to turn around." Dick was amazed.

He soon found the engines at Beach View Station. "Hello," said the first engine, "I'm Emma, and that's Pip at the front. We bring passengers from the mainland." "I'm Dick," said Dick. "Nice to meet you Dick," said Emma, "How fast can you go?" "Well, so far, I can go only 129 mph. Slow progress to beat Mallard. How about you?" "Well, you have a way to go if you want to beat us. Our fastest speed is 148 mph." Dick was shocked! "Well, we gotta go now, see you later." Dick was nervous. He thought that (Y/N) had brought Pip and Emma to replace him. After all, there were two of them, and one of him.

After Dick was finished with his passengers, he headed down the line back to the yards to rest. If they can do it, he thought, then so can I. I'll go for 149 mph! He then went faster, and faster down the line. Soon, he was racing at amazing speeds, but not fast enough. He only went 129 mph. "Must go faster! Must go faster!" he said. 

Dick was so focused on going faster, he didn't notice Den with a load of stone! Dick applied his brakes, and yelled, "LOOK OUT!!!!!", but it was too late. He smashed right through the trucks, and laid on his side, dazed and confused.

(Y/N) was not happy. "What were you thinking Dick?" she asked sternly, "Going at such speeds on the mainline, and not looking where you're going?!" "I....I..... I didn't want to be replaced!" said Dick. (Y/N) looked confused, "What do you mean?" "I, I didn't want to be sent away and replaced by Pip and Emma, so I wanted to prove I could be as fast as them!" (Y/N)'s frown turned into a look of sorrow. "Oh Dick," said (Y/N), "Pip and Emma only come here to bring passengers from the mainland. I would never dream of replacing you." Dick felt better, but was still worried.

At the works, Dick was hoisted up, and looked all over. "Dick, what is wrong my friend?" asked Victor. "I'm just afraid that I won't be able to pull passengers anymore after this incident." Dick then told him why he crashed. "Don't worry Dick," said Victor, "You are a really useful engine. I'm sure (Y/N) will give you a second chance."

When Dick was repaired, he waited at the platform, and was surprised to find coaches coupled to him! "I... I can still pull passengers!?" "Yes," said (Y/N), "I understand that you were just a bit worried is all. So, we can't have you just sitting here. You must be really useful!" Dick smiled with pride.

Dick is now a wiser engine. He knows that none of the engines will ever be sent away on Paradise Island. He even made friends with Pip and Emma. He, Mallard, and the two diesels sometimes race each other, but Pip and Emma go easy on them. Dick is happy to be on Paradise Island with all the engines.