Not Smiling Anymore

Tw: mentions of death

"Peter what happened?" He's sad and it's making me sad and a second ago everything was perfect. Or maybe it was only perfect for me. Maybe he's been freaking out this whole time.

"Do you know how often planes crash?" He's scared of crashing? Oh...

"Peter is that why you're scared? We're not gonna crash. You know that right?" He has tears streaming down his face while he stares out the window.

"MJ do you know anyone that's died in a plane crash?"

"No... Do you?"

"Yea..." He wipes some tears off of his face and it hits me. Peter's parents died when he was little didn't they?

"Peter if you don't mind me asking-" but he cuts me off.

"It was my parents. They were in a plane crash when I was little..." Oh my god. That's... That's horrible...

"Peter..." But he's looking at me and he's crying and I can't finish my sentence.

"MJ. Promise we'll be safe?" I can't promise that but I mean he's looking at me and he's terrified and he's sad and he's... he's not smiling anymore...

"Yea Peter." I grab his hand, "I promise." And I just, I just look at him... And he looks at me... And neither of us are smiling... And yet...I feel... I feel safe looking at him. I hope he feels the same.