Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Their first night together was excruciatingly awkward.

Eli had bad habits. Bad habits she vowed to get rid of when she found her mate. She didn't think she'd find her mate several hundred years in the past, but the time came nevertheless, which was why she had to stay up until her mate's breathing steadied and slowed.

It was embarrassing, but she tended to snore- and ever since her crush in high school pointed it out when she fell asleep in class, it has been an insecurity of hers.

Meanwhile, Trenton who slept on the couch, was stressed out for a very different reason.

He was pissed at having to sleep on the couch, but with one look at Lady Elise's face, he could sense her discomfort in sharing a single bed. He had to remind himself that she held no memory of him whatsoever on the multiple times they had shared a bed. And while he was grateful for her offer to sleep on the couch, he couldn't find it in himself to take the bed. Yes, he was on the other side of this war, but chivalry was not dead on him.

Though what truly bothered him was not the fact that his shoulders ached from sleeping on the couch, but that his mate would not sleep.

He promised his Beta- the commander of his Secret Unit- that he would train with his posse of bodyguards at the sword room as soon as Lady Elise fell asleep.

But why is it taking her so long to sleep?

As time ticked by, his frustration rose as he thought of ways to get her to sleep. Trenton seriously considered striking a pressure point on her neck to make her faint, but thought against it and resorted to his safest bet and acted as if he was fast asleep.

Miraculously, after a few painfully long minutes, he could hear her light snores ringing the room. He smiled a little at the sound. Ever since Elise was sent from her father to sleep in the same room with him, he caught her snoring multiple times which he didn't dare call her out on. It was the only time of the day when she'd thaw her icy exterior, and let him know that she bore an imperfection however small it was.

He rose slowly from his spot on the couch, gracefully moving past the bedpost to get a better look at his mate.

It was the only time when he could get a good look at her face, without it scrunching up in annoyance at him or blatant displeasure at his presence.

And he had to admit, she didn't look horrible.

Who am I kidding? She's gorgeous.

Perfect, trimmed eyebrows perched above her eyes that drooped slightly downwards at the end, giving her the exact resemblance of a lost puppy when opened. She had impeccable skin that certainly looked soft- though he'd never dare touch it-and small, full lips curved slightly upwards which gave her an overall peaceful look in her sleep.

The only blemish was a scar at the edge of her right eyebrow, a flaw Lady Elise took precise care in covering up with her white powder every morning. But for the Prince, it only added to the imperfections that made her human.

But like every other time, he would turn away from her sleeping form, quick to remember his purpose in the kingdom. And tonight was no exception.

As he silently closed the door, he stealthily crossed across the palace to his destination. The corridor's torchlight flickered and bounced upon him, making haunting shadows along the way. His footfalls echoed the empty corridors, accentuating the emptiness of the halls.

Finally arriving at the armory, he swiftly pushed inside and was greeted by his small army training already.

"I was starting to think we had to start without you."

The Beta who was already sweaty from several sets of swordplay approached the Prince with a smirk. Trenton rolled his eyes in response and was quick to head into a stall to get rid of his nightwear and throw on an all-black training tunic.

"The ciambella wouldn't sleep fast enough." He muttered as he side-stepped his Beta to pick out his sword from the rack.

Chester let out a short laugh as he raised his hands to gather the warriors.

"Swordplay with three different partners, and we'll let our wolves out for sequence 6 everybody!"

===

Eli never thought she'd wear a customized outfit in her life.

Yet, here she was in a flowing pale-blue evening gown that hugged her curves in just the right way, hundreds of years in the past.

The slight breeze of spring flew in the open corridors of the palace. Honey-like sunlight sprayed over her form, adding warmth to her chocolate brown locks. Azalea, who suggested a tour of the palace was a few steps ahead of her, leading them to the kitchen.

"This is the canteen where all the maids and warriors eat their food," Azalea inquired lightly, "But may I ask why you're interested in the kitchens, my Lady? The Royal's personal cooking station is right next to your chambers..."

"Yes, but all the meals come from the main kitchen, don't they? I'm just... curious, that's all."

But of course, she had a different thought in mind.

Eli needed the trust and support of her people. So she would do what every sensible leader should do first-

Making allies.

Her thoughts flitted to the regal Prince who seemed indifferent in anything she did, but even he would not ignore her if she had the people on her back.

She had to win them over.

And if it was getting the cooks on her side, so be it.

It was when Azalea slowed down did Eli acknowledge the company before her.

Bright auburn hair that was pinned into an elegant up-do was what came to sight at first. She traced dark doe-like eyes looking down on her, plump rose lips pinched in a straight line, a look of disdain smearing her features. The girl in a pressed black trench dress seemed to have a few inches over her, which only added to the lioness look.

"Was this your plan, Lady Elise?" The regal lady who held her poise spat out in a voice dripping with venom.

"To frame me for pushing you into that lake? Was that your plan to kick me out of this court once and for all?" The distressed lady was clearly pushing herself, the loose strands of fiery red hair shaking at her outburst.

Eli was completely dumbfounded by the unexpected accusation. She quickly recalled the lady from the night before, where she sat next to the ba Ruslan Alpha's side with impeccable table manners.

What in the world did the owner of this body do to let everyone think she has an ulterior move for everything?

After a few moments of stunned silence, the woman stepped up to Eli's ear and spoke in a deathly calm manner.

"There are consequences in your actions, and you will reap what you sow." She pulled away but stopped short as she leaned in once again.

"And Lady Elise? If you even utter a word about the arson to Prince Trenton, I will make your downfall your own personal hell," she uttered so quietly for only the two could hear and pushed on her way, past Azalea who was scowling at her back and a dumbstruck Eli staring ahead.

"Again, it might not even matter because your fate is already sealed." The red-head said more loudly this time, cocking her head to the side before going through the canteen doors opened by her maid.

It was only a few seconds later when Azalea opened her mouth.

"That's uh- Lady Rosaline- obviously."

By pressing the little star, you can make my day!

If you enjoyed this chapter, don't hesitate to vote!