Part 3. Running

It is funny how you can get punished just because you space out for a moment. And well ok, maybe it wasn't just a moment but the whole History class. And that's why I was standing outside my classroom.

           Lets walk together.

           That was what he said to me, and actually the last thing he had said. He was silent the rest of the walk and I didn't found the voice or the guts to restart a formal conversation. Even now, after a month I couldn't understand why he talked to me and why he walked with me -or made me walk with him- that day. But what I couldn't grab a hold of was the fact that he wasn't talking to me anymore. Why he approached me that way if he wasn't planing on doing it again? Was he being polite? Was it just the way things worked for him?

            I shook my head and let out a sigh. Since that day all that it had being on my mind was his face while he asked me to walk with him and it was the reason I was outside the classroom. I put my hands inside my jumper's pockets and stared outside the window. Snow was covering everything, giving the city a beautiful decoration; my favourite one.

             I noticed fog forming in front of me and realized that I was leaning over the windowframe even though I didn't rememberd walking towards it.

            "You like the snow?"

            "Yes," I answered without thinking but then regreting it.

             It was him. He was talking to me. And I was answering back. I didn't dared to confront him so I wacthed him through his reflection on the window and waited for him to say something else. But he remained silent. And I cowarded again.

             The bell rang and it was lunch time, he simled at me and began to walk down the corridor.

             "Excuse me-" I started but the buzz of the students coming out from the classrooms covered my voice and cut my attempt of bravery.

***

            It was the last class of the day and it was PE time. It was one of my favourite classes since I was a good runner. I was fast and invincible. At least until then, I was.

            Nobody ever ran on the track but that day there was someone running. I approached the track and watched as the figure became clearer to me. A yellow jumper shone under the weak winter sun and I recognized him immediately.

            Do you like my coat? He had said then and was starting to get familiar with it.

            And yes, apparently that was his favourite color too. He was wearing it all the time. He actually looked good on it. His hair waved as he ran towards me. After a while a pair of chocolate brown eyes locked with mine and suddenly I forgot how to breathe. I was staring and he was staring back, a mocking smile on his face.

           "Perhaps, do you want to run?" he asked with a sober voice, "if you can catch up with me, of course."

            For some reason he was pushing me. If I can catch up? I was the fastest runner in school and he was chalenging me like that? I didn't answered him and started running down the track.

              Now lets see who has to catch up.