Part 7. A new feeling

There's no place I rather be.

My eyes followed him as he aproached; my heart was acting strange and I could feel my cheeks turning red. I was sitting under my tree as usual and the boy with his usual yellow jumper stood a few steps away. I tilted my head and locked my eyes with him, a broad smile on his lips.

"Do you mind?" He made a gesture and sat next to me, this time he was really close.

I remained silent while he took out whatever he was having for lunch. I wondered who made that for him since every different day some random girl gave him some treat specially made for him. I tolled my eyes and had a fork full of my salad. Silent fell among us and I was glad he'd stopped asking if I was ok; since the day I went to his house he had waited for me a block away from my house, we had walked in silence and then shared our time during lunch time. Why was he acting this was? Surely he would have more important things to do to spend time with me. He was in last year, he was three years older than me and this whole situation just didn't make sense.

"Can I ask you a question?" I finally found the voice to talk to him.

"Sure," he said calmly as he ate his food.

I considered how to ask him what I wanted to know, I sighed and glance at him with a shy smile.

"Why are you always with me?" My mouth went dry as he looked at me serious. The kind smile was gone.

"Just because," he replied and kept eating. I blinked surprised. Just because? He didn't had a reason?

I felt my heart sinking in my chest as I discovered that, somehow, his answer hurted. If he didn't had a specific reason, why was he always walking with me to school and back home? Why he had said all those things to me? Was he like that to everyone? Disappointment grew bigger and bigger inside of me.

"I wanted a friend," he continued, an edge of sadness in his voice.

"But you have a lot of friends," I complained confused. Why he wanted to be friends with me? I wasn't that interesting and I was way younger than him.

"No, I don't."

"But-" the bell rang and cut me off. The brown haired boy stood and offered a hand to me, I ignored it and stood up by myself. "I don't know why you're acting like this. But you have friends and you don't have to be my friend just because."

The boy looked hurt but didn't say anything. His hand went back on his side and start walking away. I forced away the lump that was forming in my throat. I thought he would have said he wanted to be my friend even so, but I guess it was better that way.

I rushed inside the building and reached my class in record time, our teacher came inside just a few minutes later. I sat on my bench and took out my Math book, I hoped that the numbers would have distracted me. I had to stop thinking about him.

Just when the class was about to end, the class door opened and a boy entered the classroom. My mouth went dry as I recognised those familiar chocolate brown eyes glancing at me. He aproached the teacher and said something to him while he pointed a figer to me. What was he doing?

I watched in horror as he came by my place and grabbed my wrist making me to stand up. I try to ask what was he doing but he gave me no time to do it though. We walked out of the classroom and down the hallway, his pressure envolving my wrist as he walked fast. We went upstairs to the roof and he closed the door behind him, just then he released me.

I massaged my wrist and glared at him upset.

"Why did you do that for?" I asked, founding my word easier this time.

"I needed to talk to you."

"And you couldn't wait until the school was over?" I crossed my arms and looked at him.

"No."

This was odd, he never acted like that and he surely looked annoyed about something. He reminded silent for a moment before speaking again.

"I want to be your friend, I truly do." He said as he passed a hand through his hair.

"Why?" I asked again.

"Can't you just be my friend?" He questioned. "You really don't want to? I thought we were having fun." I could noticed the hurt through his words.

"I just..." I trailed off. I had to admit that even though I ejoyed being alone, the time we shared was amazing. "Yeah, I guess we can be friends."

"Really?" He said, a ray of hope in his voice.

"Yeah, but don't take me out of class again," I gave him a wary look.

"I won't, I promise." A smile appeared on his face and made me smile as well.

He grabbed my hand again and we walked downstairs to our last class of the day. We reached my classroom and then he waved goodbye and left. When I got inside, everyone was staring at me in shock.

Yeap, I was friends with the most popular boy in school. Nothing that special. A happy smile came to my lips as I noticed how awesome I felt for the first time in many years.