Chapter 21: Complicated

A/N: Whenever I say "Dad" in this chapter, that's Edward. Doug will still be Doug, because he's not Evie's biological father and despite the fact that she obviously has had him as another father figure for a really long time, it's just easier to refer to one dad as Dad, and the other as Doug. So that's the method to my madness.

Evie's POV:

Ty was pale-faced, and I squeezed his hand comfortingly as I walked towards my dads, tugging a very reluctant Ty along. The last time we'd dated, my dads had interrogated him to the point of tears - and that was before he'd cheated on me. And I still had some trust issues because of that, but now was not the time to discuss those. Ty had changed. He loved me. And only me. And it was Sophie we needed to focus on, which made me start thinking.

I realized none of Sophie's group home friends were here, and nearly hit myself in the head. "Dad," I said, "I'll be back."

Ty looked to me desperately. "Excuse me?"

"Yes, for once I agree with the cheater," huffed Dad, narrowing his eyes at Ty. Dad never had forgiven him for cheating on me. Doug at least tolerated Ty, if only because he seemed to get that if Ty became the "forbidden fruit," I would still date him.

"You can deal with them, babe."

"Babe?" Dad asked incredulously.

"It's a form of endearment, Dad," I said sarcastically, before leaning in to Ty. "If you manage to get through this without crying, Ty, I'll buy some new stuff from Victoria's Secret for you." In reality, I needed some new bras anyway, but I could throw some stuff for Ty in there, too, I supposed.

Now that I thought about it, I didn't think I'd ever bought anything for a boyfriend from Victoria's Secret. I'd only ever worn sexy bras I bought for myself, ones that I already owned. I was pretty confident in my body, so when I went out with a boyfriend, the only thing I'd ever done was make sure my underwear and bras matched.

Were Ty's past mistakes still making me uncomfortable? God, I needed to get out of here. This stupid waiting room was making me think about literally everything that I hated thinking about.

"That's not the point! Sophie is in the hospital!" cried Dad.

"You're going to get her friends, aren't you," realized Dylan, his voice sounding horrible, empty even. "From the group home." He paused, and then added, "Ricky and Maxton are coming."

"Yeah. I'm gonna need the minivan."

Wordlessly, Dad held out the keys, dropping them into my palm, and I drove the back way to the foster home. There was still so much wreckage of Ethan's car that I had to park on a back street, and once I got to the actual street I wanted to throw up.

This crash had almost killed my sister, and had injured my brother, who was even more of a moron than I had thought. We'd all been angry with him, but we'd thought he was getting better.

The crash Sophie had been in said otherwise.

"Evie," greeted Lina, her voice somber as she clutched Luna's hand. "Shouldn't you be at the hospital?"

I forced a smile onto my face. I could tell that the girls from the group home knew it wasn't genuine, but I honestly coped with most things by smiling. When Mom had left, I had smiled. When my grandpa had died, I had smiled. 

When Ty had broken up with me.

"Shouldn't you?" I asked, and loaded up everybody who wanted to go, including a thirteen-year-old boy named Nathan.

We all drove to the hospital, and I had so much on my mind that I didn't even realize that Georgia and Ricky would be in the same place, at the same time.