Chapter 33: Vertiginous

I snap to attention and shoot up, the howl of the horn reverberating in my ears.

Dashing out the door, I startle the Golden Guardians standing guard but immediately, they run after me.

A sprinting soldier approaches me and gets down on one knee. "Your Majesty."

"What is it?"

"Auditor Song led several dozens of other auditors in throwing out supplies to the refugees atAn Shang Gate and caused a mob. The refugees and our soldiers were in a light scuffle when the Yan suddenly attacked."

"What is the situation now?"

"The Yan started attacking Zhong Shan Gate while the auditors are fighting with the lieutenant. Things are chaotic now and Marshal Heng is on his way over there."

My stomach twists anxiously.

Song Ruoming, why did you have to pick An Shang Gate out of all the gates?!

I get dressed speedily with the help of the servants and by the time I finish, a eunuch has already brought over a horse. I race through the city while my guards yell at the people to clear the path. The rickety ride rocks my mind back and forth into a mess.

An Shang is the weakest gate of the capital since it was completely ruined by warfare many years ago. Afterwards, the Ministry of Works never paid much effort into rebuilding it due to corrupt politics. The defensive requirement was ignored: no barbicans were built and the gate serves little purpose. Although we have dedicated a lot into repairing it, it takes more than a few cold days for a glacier to form—it couldn't possibly be fixed over just a day or two.

I pucker my brows as I try to figure this thing out: was it Song Ruoming who chose An Shang Gate or was it the Yan?

Song Ruoming does not know much about warfare. Everything he has done is according to his own will. He must have chosen to pass out the clothes and food when he saw that there were a lot of refugees near An Shang.

Why would all the refugees be there out of the twelve gates?

The Yan could herd the refugees as they wished so...

I tighten my grip on the reins.

Then there is only one possible answer.

As I approach An Shang Gate, I see fires blazing and hear deafening roars. The walls are in chaos: the armed soldiers are in deadlock with a bunch of auditors wearing their court uniforms. Neither side backs down. A person, most likely the lieutenant, is pointing a nocked bow at the field outside the gate, and across from him is none other than Song Ruoming.

I don't even know what to say about these auditors. All they do is stir up trouble when there is none and add to the problem when there is one.

The shrieks down there are mixed in with howls and the sound of heavy impact. The Yan must be hitting the gate with a battering ram.

The order to shoot down refugees caused a large uproar when it was announced and some elderly officials even exclaimed, "How coldblooded!" under their breaths.

The situation today is that the Yan are amongst the refugees so our soldiers can't shoot recklessly. Not to mention, there are a bunch of auditors mixed in the ordeal.

The lieutenant's veins bulge out on his forehead out of frustration. He draws the bow back more but Song Ruoming stands there, self-composed with his back to the crenel.

I can't hold it in any longer. "Get out of my way!"

This startles everyone and they turn in my direction before getting down on their knees. Only Song Ruoming remains standing with his lips clipped. I step over all the kneeling people and lean out on the crenel.