Chapter 31: Besieged

I coolly cast my gaze at the crimson tide advancing from the distance.

I see a forest of spears and hear the thundering of hooves. The sun shines on the sharp spearheads and blades, shattering into icy fractions of light. A blurry, yellow cloud of sand grows from underneath the horses' hooves and the red armor seems to form a sea of blood, stranding the island that is the capital.

Everything behind me seems to be frozen in place. No one speaks. There are only the increasingly rushed breaths.

The Lupine Blood Mounted Squadron—this means I'll see an old friend. But I do wonder what expression would appear on that sniggering face of his when he sees my face.

It certainly is a small world.

The soldiers standing guard steadily watch the gradually advancing red sea but the hand and weapon of a young soldier next to me is shaking nonstop.

The Blood Mounts are infamous for their coldblooded murder and cruelty. After devouring twenty thousand men, this bloodthirsty wolf has aimed its mouthful of sharp fangs at the heart of Great Rui.

My heart is pounding but I don't show it. "Announce my decree: Do not be alarmed. Civil officials are to return to their posts and all the soldiers are to make preparations." I turn and shout to the crowd behind me. "General Pei!"

Pei Yuan hurries out and gets down on one knee. "Your orders, please, Your Majesty."

"Deploy the Golden Guardians and shut the palace gates; notify the superintendent of the inner palace to secure all buildings and prohibit all movement! Those who disobey shall face decapitation!"

Pei Yuan rushes off with the orders and the civil officials leave in an orderly fashion without much commotion. I approach the ledge and place my hands on the crenel before carefully studying the scene before me.

"Your Majesty, this place is too dangerous. I beseech You to step aside," someone suggests from behind me. I ignore it and summon the new Minister of Defense. "Get someone to command the army and inform the people in the capital of my determination to live and die with the capital! The troops are not to take a single step back; those who run away shall be shown no mercy!"

He bows in obedience and I continue, "Have the weapons and equipment been prepared accordingly?"

He answers with a calm expression, "In reply to Your Majesty, all weapons have been prepared. I had made orders for all arrows and swords in reserve to be transported to each battlement for the soldiers to use when needed."

I nod with a smile but drop it right away. I clutch my hands, trying to stop the sweat from coming out.

I then summon the Minister of Revenue. "Go post an announcement in the city telling the people not to be alarmed. You must also take the lead and get all officials to take care of the people's living. Tell them that I and the officials swear to live and die with this city and not leave them behind."

He lowers his head but Heng Ziyu interrupts, "I also request that you organize young, healthy men to transport rock and lumber, and all doctors to prepare medicines for any wounded soldiers."

The minister leaves in a hurry with the orders. I and Heng Ziyu share a smile before looking back into the distance.

The beating of the metal horseshoes is getting louder and louder and the earth itself seems to be quaking. Sand is swept high into the air and the numerous flags flap wildly in the wind. Red cavalrymen in uncountable numbers have reached the city.

The endless red wave has just stilled when it seems to be split apart by a blade. A perfectly straight path clears down the middle and two people come forth on horses. The one farther away is the assistant delegate from the other day while the one in front of him has a strong build, tall and proud. He's wearing shiny iron mail that is glistening under the sun. He pulls on the reins and turns his head when the horse halts, pointing his gaze straight in my direction.